Solved - 2016 Explorer door handle touch lock solution | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved 2016 Explorer door handle touch lock solution

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.

roverneer

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 explorer xlt
Good day Folks,

I have been watching these threads for a bit and no one seems to know what causes the door handle touch feature to not work. Today I dug into mine and boy am I glad I did. My issue was the drivers door handle lock/unlock feature was not working. It worked fine when vehicle was purchased, and after a bout of driving in wet weather, it decided to stop working. I ignored it for 3 years as the threads provided nothing useful. Today I pulled the drivers door off. Below is what I found. The pillar boot for the door was not seated properly, even though it seemed to be, and you can see water and dirt had gotten in and corroded the wires inside the plug on both sides, Would have been nice for Ford to make these weatherproof connections. I took a lot of cleaning to get it all looking good, but one of the pins was completely gone... guess what that provides... operation of your door handle touch sensor for locking and unlocking. The keypad was never affected by this. Both sides of the plug the identified pin was corroded beyond repair and the wires were loose in the back of the plug. Now I have not done the research to identify pin replacements, as it is cold outside and I wanted to get the door back on before dark, so I made a jumper wire with a disconnect to be able to get the operation back and for me it worked. I hope this helps anyone else who may be battling this issue, and I will be checking my passenger door next as I bet the condition might be similar.

Pillar Boot Seal.jpg

Drivers door plug.jpg

Door Pillar plug 2.jpg

Door Pillar plug 1.jpg

Explorer Sans door.jpg

Good day Folks,

I have been watching these threads for a bit and no one seems to know what causes the door handle touch feature to not work. Today I dug into mine and boy am I glad I did. My issue was the drivers door handle lock/unlock feature was not working. It worked fine when vehicle was purchased, and after a bout of driving in wet weather, it decided to stop working. I ignored it for 3 years as the threads provided nothing useful. Today I pulled the drivers door off. Below is what I found. The pillar boot for the door was not seated properly, even though it seemed to be, and you can see water and dirt had gotten in and corroded the wires inside the plug on both sides, Would have been nice for Ford to make these weatherproof connections. I took a lot of cleaning to get it all looking good, but one of the pins was completely gone... guess what that provides... operation of your door handle touch sensor for locking and unlocking. The keypad was never affected by this. Both sides of the plug the identified pin was corroded beyond repair and the wires were loose in the back of the plug. Now I have not done the research to identify pin replacements, as it is cold outside and I wanted to get the door back on before dark, so I made a jumper wire with a disconnect to be able to get the operation back and for me it worked. I hope this helps anyone else who may be battling this issue, and I will be checking my passenger door next as I bet the condition might be similar.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

That is very helpful information. I set you up with an Elite membership for your effort.

Back