steering wheel cover disintegrating | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

steering wheel cover disintegrating

FIRE and ICE

Reaction score
City, State
AK to Fla
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Xlt
Here is a good one that I haven't seen before, the Gel/padding material inside the steering wheel cover is liquifing and oozing out at the seams.
I can't drive anywhere without my hands having black marks all over them!
I will temp. solve the problem by buying a cheap steering wheel cover. HAS THIS HAPPENED TO ANYONE ELSE?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yes i've heard of that happening

Happens to me too

FIRE and ICE said:
Here is a good one that I haven't seen before, the Gel/padding material inside the steering wheel cover is liquifing and oozing out at the seams.
I can't drive anywhere without my hands having black marks all over them!
I will temp. solve the problem by buying a cheap steering wheel cover. HAS THIS HAPPENED TO ANYONE ELSE?

Well, finally, I'm not the only one. My '92 started doing this about a year ago. Oozes onto the seat, gets all over my hands, clothes, etc. What I ended up doing was going out with an old towel and milking as much out as I could. The heat here in Phx doesn't help any. The issue is much worse in the summer.

Mine wasn't that bad. However the wheel was VERY worn & craked cause of the FL heat. I bought a wheel cover from wheelskins. Sewed it on & now I have what looks like a new steering wheel.

Mines not oozing anything but is falling apart.

Jason94sport said:
Mine wasn't that bad. However the wheel was VERY worn & craked cause of the FL heat. I bought a wheel cover from wheelskins. Sewed it on & now I have what looks like a new steering wheel.

How much did you pay for it and was it a PITA to sew on?

My 91 is doing the same thing. I had thought about using electrical tape to cover the hole.

Yes but the electrical tape will just get soft and start ozzing glue.

Positive Vibes said:
Mines not oozing anything but is falling apart.

How much did you pay for it and was it a PITA to sew on?

Got it from:
http://streetlightz.com/wheelskins.html

It's size AX
Yes it's a PITA. However if you take your time it will come out great. I'll take a pic of it later. I have installed 3 of them on different cars.

Jason94sport said:
Got it from:
http://streetlightz.com/wheelskins.html

It's size AX
Yes it's a PITA. However if you take your time it will come out great. I'll take a pic of it later. I have installed 3 of them on different cars.

Thanks for the info. Now do I get black or charcoal?

I've worn through the leather on mine, but there's just padding and steel underneath. I guess I'm lucky the padding is intact. I haven't found an exact match for the tan interior so I haven't replaced it yet.

My stock steering wheel cover was worn through. No gel but!
Explorer Express has a nice cover. I purchased a leather one from them.
When I installed mine I bought 2 cheap plastic foam ones from a local store and installed them first then installed the one from Explorer Express.
Technically I have 3 steering wheel covers. I wanted the cushion feel & a little larger feel to it.

Pics:
550DSC00128-med.JPG

550DSC00130-med.JPG

550DSC00129-med.JPG

wow Jason your truck is CLEAN

did you cut off the old cover before sewing on that new one? It looks a little thicker.

I might buy one - does it feel like a new wheel?

Positive Vibes said:
Yes but the electrical tape will just get soft and start ozzing glue.

Yeah I know, thats why I haven't done it yet.

dpom said:
wow Jason your truck is CLEAN

did you cut off the old cover before sewing on that new one? It looks a little thicker.

I might buy one - does it feel like a new wheel?

It goes over the old one. It has a little rougher feel to it. It's not smooth like the orginal. I like it better cause it's a little thicker now, & it grips alot better.
For a little over $30 it's worth it. Just need to take your time. The hardest part is getting it just right around the spokes. I had to resew them a few time to get it right. You can even request another thread & wheelskins can give you instructions to do a baseball stitch around the wheel.

Back