Steering wheel shimmy at 18 to 23mph | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Steering wheel shimmy at 18 to 23mph

warnerwh

Reaction score
City, State
Salem, Or.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 limited 4.6 4x4
My 2005 limited 4x4 Explorer steering wheel will vibrate slightly, almost unnoticeable sometimes, while in the speed range from 18 to 23mph. Above or below that range everything is fine. It will vibrate when coasting with the lower rpm in that speed range and the shimmy seems to be less when accelerating. What would cause this? My truck has 152,000. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

My 2005 limited 4x4 Explorer steering wheel will vibrate slightly, almost unnoticeable sometimes, while in the speed range from 18 to 23mph. Above or below that range everything is fine. It will vibrate when coasting with the lower rpm in that speed range and the shimmy seems to be less when accelerating. What would cause this? My truck has 152,000. Any help is appreciated. Thanks
Are the front wheels balanced?

I just had the tires rotated and balanced a couple of weeks ago. I thought that was a possibility too.

Bad control arms bushings,balljoints or the hub bearings.might be worn tires as well

Back