Steering wheel skins pics on a 91-94 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Steering wheel skins pics on a 91-94

Anime

EF YEAH!!
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 EX Sport Concept
Well the factory leather wheel is falling apart on the left side, and I've wrung the top of the wheel almost completely around, so it's time for new wheel material.

For the price and the rave reviews, it looks like Wheelskins might be the best option, but I'm not sure if the leather around the spokes will completely tuck under the horn pad/cover or not. I'm really hoping so, that way it will look factory and I can peel off the old leather, I don't really want to have two covers on the wheel or have the new cover over the old icky one.

So, anyone with pics of a Wheelskin on their 91-94, or a Ranger or Bronco II? I've seen pics on newer Explorers around the site, but of course those wheels are completely different, and all the posts with 91-94's that once had images are old and the pics are gone.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

aww' just go buy your self a leather cover at wally world for $17

DSCN1361.jpg

I can't stand the look or feel of those things.

Wheelskins are just a few bucks more.

42.95 is what they want for these

94skin.jpg

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...rd+explorer&gbv=2&ndsp=20&hl=en&sa=N&start=20

really depends on how much you want to shell out on a cover that will eventually get dirty and wear out over time (plus if you you get in your truck all dirty which would you rather have a cheaper cover get ruined or a nice expensive one ?).personaly i would rather pay under $20 buck every year and a half for a new and have a new cover that is going to look good all the time and only take me 2 seconds to put on the wheel .they are nice covers don't misunderstand me but for the price they want and they practicality for such a item ...i'll stick with the one from wal-mart .

I've seen that pic at Explorer Express, but that's a slightly different wheel, without the cruise controls. I'm looking for some of the members that I know have their wheels wrapped to re-post their images.

I'd rather pay $30-40 once for a cover that will probably last longer than the factory leather. The factory wrap lasted over 15 years, this material is supposed to be even better.

My performance and safety needs would not be met with a slip-over wheel cover from wal-mart or anything of the kind, but thanks for bumping the thread. :)

My performance and safety needs would not be met with a slip-over wheel cover from wal-mart or anything of the kind, but thanks for bumping the thread. :)

No offense, but what performance? We drive Explorers, not Ferraris. I could understand if you don't like the look or if you don't like the feel of an aftermarket cover compared to the stock wheel. And if that's the case then it makes sense to go with something more comfortable. But steering wheel covers are not the difference between high performance/safety and being out of control or dangerous. Just my $0.02

No offense, but what performance? We drive Explorers, not Ferraris...

Haha, but who says an Explorer cant be fun to drive....

Anime4x4 - Your best bet is to call around to shops that do interior work and ask them if they'll work on the steering wheel...probably wont cost that much and look a lot better than a cover

No offense, but what performance? We drive Explorers, not Ferraris. I could understand if you don't like the look or if you don't like the feel of an aftermarket cover compared to the stock wheel. And if that's the case then it makes sense to go with something more comfortable. But steering wheel covers are not the difference between high performance/safety and being out of control or dangerous. Just my $0.02

What performance? Not Ferraris?

With the modifications I've done and the way I drive my X, a bulky slip-on wheel cover versus a grippy, slip-free leather wheel can be the difference between snappy steering and something that slips when you turn the wheel. In many driving situations, that can be the difference in making a turn or avoiding an accident.

I realize many people just drive casually and don't mind having a slip on cover over the wheel, but there's no reason to turn this into some kind of argument about why someone who's into performance should think along the same lines as someone who's not. But again, thanks for the thread bump.

Masterd said:
Haha, but who says an Explorer cant be fun to drive....

Anime4x4 - Your best bet is to call around to shops that do interior work and ask them if they'll work on the steering wheel...probably wont cost that much and look a lot better than a cover

The Wheelskins "cover" can be a replacement leather surface for wheel if the old cover is removed. It's only like a steering wheel cover if placed over the original surface, which is more common on plastic or vinyl wheels. I haven't called around for quotes yet, but it seems from my research so far that a shop would be almost as expensive as a new factory wheel.

Now, can this stop being a thread about why everyone thinks I should do something else to my steering wheel and simply go back to being a request for pictures of steering wheels with Wheelskins on them from members who have them? Thanks. :salute:

The wheelskins look butt ugly IMO....no matter how you put it on....

" Now, can this stop being a thread about why everyone thinks I should do something else to my steering wheel and simply go back to being a request for pictures of steering wheels with Wheelskins on them from members who have them? Thanks. "

no ! , arrrrgggggggghhh :splat::frustrate:banghead::shifty_ey:D:p: :D

noooo, you have to buy what we tell you to lol !

honestlly i would like to have a nice stiched on cover like i have had in the past ...they are much nicer ...sorry if ya got a little upset from all of us about this thread you posted :),hey i had one from a auto parts store and the stich on kind ( $ 25 ) and i liked it so much ..... i hated to get rid of it when i sold my 79 ramcharger .

You gotta big block?? I'm hung up on all this performance you speak of

Or... you can run down to a quality fabrics store and buy a 1/4 yard of leather for like $5. Buy some thick matching color thread and a needle and you have yourself a professional quality product for under $10 and 30 mins of your time!

You gotta big block?? I'm hung up on all this performance you speak of

I'm talking more like corner carving performance, not drag-strip style straight line acceleration, I wouldn't need to steer much for that.

eXcali said:
Or... you can run down to a quality fabrics store and buy a 1/4 yard of leather for like $5. Buy some thick matching color thread and a needle and you have yourself a professional quality product for under $10 and 30 mins of your time!

If there were such a fabric store, maybe. I doubt I could get top quality leather that would last as long as the treated Wheelskins for $5, or even what the Wheelskins cost. It would be interesting to see pics of someone's wheel who went that route, though.

Still looking for pics on a 91-94...

I'm not sure if this is what your looking for, but this is our steering wheel with a cover I got from PepBoys a few years back.

I had to lay it in the sun to get somewhat soft to make it easier to install.

3560707759_fe441706fc_b.jpg

3560708173_32f4503e51_b.jpg

~Mark

Wheelskins are a more "factory" looking leather replacement, although some people do just put them over factory vinyl wheels..

http://www.wheelskins.com

I'm trying to get the few people who had/have them on a 91-94 to post pics to see if the cover makes it over the two spokes. Seems perfect for the price, compared to what a new wheel or getting it recovered costs.

I have the same lace-on cover on the old stock wheel of another vehicle. They're ok but kind of granny looking. Better than thin plastic or a nasty wheel for sure, though.

Yeah, that's the site.

That stock photo is an older Ford wheel without the cruise controls, which has a horn pad that fits a little differently. That's the one Explorer Express uses on their Wheelskins listing, but I'm more interested to see pics of an actual installed Wheelskin on a 91-94 wheel.

I bought the wheelskin from Explorer Express and actually installed it 3 days ago. Unfortunately I don't have pics and I have an 01 sport(which has a thicker wheel). Unlike your wheel I have 4 spokes which makes a factory look a bit more difficult. As long as you pull REAL tight you'll be happy with the results. When you get to the spokes you have to do what the instrx call a dummy stitch and as long as its tight all the way around it will look pretty decent. IMO well worth the 40 bucks. Just take your time(1hr.) and don't forget to tape up your fingers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It would still be cool to see some installed pics.

What color did you go with, and how do you like the feel of the leather?

I'm aware of most of the install tricks on them, I'm planning to do the baseball stitch just like factory.I'm gonna take my sweet time and get that thing on there TIGHT.

Back