Step bumper receiver hitch | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Step bumper receiver hitch

jcwaters1

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
Is the explorer capable of having a step bumper receiver hitch instead of a frame mounted one? i found one for $20 and that is a lot cheaper then buying the whole frame mounted setup. Or if you guys know of a frame mounted one for under $100 then let me know too!

heres the one i found... tell me your thoughts

http://grizzly.com/products/G8734

and yea, i am aware that drilling may be required. it will still be worth it if i dont have to buy a $150-$200 receiver.

thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Look on car-part.com for used hitches at recycle yards near you, I bought my hitch for my last Ex for $20 at a junkyard already pulled. I'd trust a used frame hitch much more than that Grizzly one, I don't see any reason that it would be stronger than a bumper ball, as the weight is still being held by the friction created by the bumper leveling bolts. If you're ok with the Grizzly, just put a bumper ball on and call it good...

i do have a ball on my x right now. i pull trailers with it all the time. its not that i want more strength, the reason i want a receiver is for the accessories you can get for them. such as dirtbike haulers, cargo shelves, etc.

Ah ok- yeah, if you're not having issues with capacity, then you should be fine... :thumbsup:

sounds good to me if you just want accessories...

will the grizzley fit on the bumper though? like is it the right length/width? anyone had experience with this receiver?

IMO, you should still check into a used frame mount. Good for accessories, about the same price/hassle, and you never know when you'll want to hook on to that 5000 lb trailer. Better to have it and not need it...yada yada yada. Just my $.02

Back