Still no 4wd. GEM maybe???? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Still no 4wd. GEM maybe????

Itali83

Reaction score
City, State
Maine
Hey guys, still have no 4wd. No lights in the dash, even at key up,(checked both bulbs and they are good). All fuses and relays test out good. Still need to pull plugs off GEM to make sure it has a good ground and power. My 4wd switch is within spec and working properly. I'm thinking that its the GEM.

Does anyone know what else the GEM controls? Is it common to just loose the 4wd part of the GEM and nothing else? Because everything else in the truck works properly inside and out, just the 4wd.

Is the GEM a factory only part? About how much are they if anyone knows? Thanks for any help in advance.
Ben

The GEM controls all of the chassis electronics. ( courtesy lights, door ajar signals, wipers front and rear, rear defogger, etc.). It is possible for just the 4wd part to fail, but not very probable. The GEM is a "dealer only " part when bought new. However they can be had used. You just have to make sure to match the year and engine/drive combo. By drive/engine I mean the v6 ex's use the GEM labeled "A4wd sport utility". The v8 uses the GEM labeled "2wd sport utility". The v8 is AWD and has no computer control. You must match the part number, with the exception of the last 2 letters. they are build date codes. The same GEM part number can have different date codes depending on when it was built that year. There are a couple of site vendors that would probably be able to help you out. One is Kbabiak, and the other is ped5stang. Search their threads and put out a request. I think I paid about $30 last time I bought one.

Here's something you can try. Unplug the harness from the 4wd range selector switch. Then start the truck and see if the 4wd lights flash on and off. If they do, that's normal. If they don't then you have a problem.

Back