• Register Today It's free!

Still running lean

Lacky01

Reaction score
City, State
Eugene, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Sport
I've been chasing a P0171/P0174 code for half a year now with no resolution. I did the typical "throw parts at what I think is most likely the issue" but I'd like to be a bit more methodical now and actually figure out the issue.

I have discovered This Thread by 2000StreetRod which seems to be a good diagnostic procedure. When I get the chance, I will start working through the list.

My truck is a '98 Sport with the OHV. in the process of trying to figure out this code I have replaced the MAF sensor, and all of the gaskets from the lower intake manifold up. I can spray carb cleaner around all suspected vacuum sources, but the idle is not affected by that. While the truck is running, I do hear a noise which sounds like a large air leak. the sound remains constant and doesn't change with RPMs. I haven't been able to figure out what this noise is. am I able to rule out a vacuum leak as the cause of my codes?

well, I don't really have the tools to figure this out. I'm taking it to the mechanic on Friday morning. I'll post up their progress and the outcome for others with this issue

Back