Stock engine wiring harness troubles | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Stock engine wiring harness troubles

Possumz

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford Explorer 4x4
My daughters 1991 Explorer has electrical problems. The harness for on the drivers side fell on the exhaust and melted. the only way you can start the explorer is by jumping from the red / light blue wire pin from the starter relay. The only voltage is 5.0 volts on the same wire. I know i need to change the melted wires but wonder where the power source is actually supplyed from so i can check it. My wiring diagram dont show to much for it. Does anyone have a better diagram?
Deron :exp:

Eww, you might wanna try Ebay and look for 91' EVTM's, that's Ford's Electrical and Vacuum troubleshooting manuals. They don't have much for trouble shooting but they have every wire in the truck.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help!

Thanks, Doug.

red with light blue comes from the key switch. it goes key---. relay in steering column (replace, like $15) , to the clutch pedal position switch,then throught he neautral safety circuit in the trans,, and then to the starter solenoid. :)

there are two wires that go to the starter, one directly from the battery and a smaller one from the solenoid.

Hope that helps!

Back