Hartman

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 5.0
Guys,

I'm trying to diagnose a hard start problem and I started by checking my fuel pressure, and it's sitting at 32psi at idle, which seems low to me. I've done quite a bit of searching but I can't seem to find the fuel pressure range for an early V8. Does anyone know what the stock range is?

Basically my truck takes about 2 seconds of cranking before it fires. Occasionally it will require a bit of throttle to get it fully started, but has never failed to start on me. I replaced the fuel filter last week and I'm trying to eliminate the fuel pump as a potential problem, hoping it's something like plugs and wires instead.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Fuel pressure specs are 30-40 psi...

Lower pressure being while running at idle or static [primed system] and increasing to 40 psi when the throttle is opened and the vacuum signal on the fuel pressure regulator is reduced...

If you are having starting issues, you might want to check the MAF, ECT and ACT sensors as well...They can be eratic and send erroneous information to the PCM...Cleaning the MAF could fix the issue as well...

When the engine runs, how does it run? Any missing, hesitation or stumbling?

Engine runs perfectly, throwing a code for EGR valve which I will be replacing on Sunday. I recently cleaned the MAF and everything seems fine.

Crank position sensor

So 32psi is an acceptable fuel pressure?

I would also think I would throw codes for a bad CPS

Mine didn't... Had the same hard to start problem.

Damnit! I was reading about the CPS last light and there's all this drama about synchronizing the sensor with the camshaft etc.

I need easy fixes :p

Lining up the CPS with the sycro drive is very easy as long as your CPS hasn't fallen apart inside. They often do. My CPS was entirely destroyed inside, and it didn't throw a CEL. I think I might have a pair of them laying around.

Where is this bad boy located so I can take a look today...

Its underneath the coil packs. Can get in without messing with them. Very small bolt heads.

Back