• Register Today It's free!

Stock LED headlights vs 2016-2019

metroplex

Reaction score
City, State
Detroit, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Ford Explorer XLT
How are the 2020s stock LED headlights in comparison to the 16-19? I love the LED headlights on my 2018 XLT. They light up the road even in the rain with great peripheral lighting, and i dont have foglights. My 2017 fusion sport led headlights pale in comparison.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think there maybe something wrong with my headlights but they suck and I made a post on it but everyone seems to be content with theirs. Just havent had time to bring it in the dealership.

Reason I ask is that IIHS does headlight testing and on paper the 16-19 has better low beam performance but the 2020 has better high beam performance mainly because the previous gen used halogen high beams. Did you try adjusting your headlights?

I did try adjusting them lower but same thing. My light output isnt strong, it's either not getting enough power or missing LEDs. See my picture comparing my low beams against another car with stock halogens. On all my previous cars with HIDs my headlights would be brighter than the car next to me. Doesnt happen much on the ST.

20200205_203407.jpg

Another example

20200127_192141.jpg

Mine seem to be brighter then on my 2016.

My 2018's LED headlights really light up the road and it's noticeable compared to my other cars. I've found that Ford adjusts their headlights rather lower out of the factory. I've bought nothing but new Fords, mostly factory orders, and have had to re-align them with a wall 25 feet away etc... The worst offender was my 2000 Crown Vic. OMFG those headlights were aimed 6 inches in front of the road from the factory... I couldn't see crap. Once properly adjusted it was night/day difference.

I'm curious if you've ever drove onto a flat surface and found a clear wall about 25 feet away and check its alignment?

Here's the 2020 Explorer Headlight data from IIHS:
2020 Ford Explorer 4-door SUV

Here's the 2016-2019 Explorer Headlight data from IIHS (they all had LED low beams / halogen high beams):
2019 Ford Explorer 4-door SUV

The low beams for 16-19 on paper are brighter than 2020, but look at the curves. I can attest that the 16-19 does very well in the peripheral lighting.

For kicks and giggles, here's the 17-19 Fusion Sport (LED high/low beams):
2020 Ford Fusion 4-door sedan

With the Fusion, If there's a lot of rain/water on the road with potholes, I can't see the potholes or lines in the road even with the useless foglamps. With the Explorer, I can see pretty much everything or the thick 245/60R18 tires just kind of bounce off the pothole.

My highlights if anything were too high, I had to adjust them lower because the 10 feet in front of my car was super dark, i have to use the fogs or else it's like 20% light output there.

Here's the 2016-2019 Explorer Headlight data from IIHS (they all had LED low beams / halogen high beams)

Not all of them had halogen high beams. The 2018 Explorer Platinum came with LED high beams from the factory.

I have trouble seeing left and right at intersections at night. The “adaptive headlights” of my Platinum don’t have much noticeable effect either.

This issue is compounded by the window tint my dealer puts on every SUV and truck on their lot.

Further the design exposes the headlights to a build up of dust, and with no headlight washers the light is clouded typically by that dust.

Is the tint something that can be removed? That will be a start.

Peter

Back