• Register Today It's free!

Stock Radio

HKUNZ

Reaction score
City, State
Wilmington, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT
So ive got a 93 xlt, and recently, the radio has been coming in and out...

the sound will cut off even though the volume is on full...

the clock still works, but no sound...

is 'sounds' pretty gay...

any suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like the radio has had water or moisture in it at some point of its life.

Does/did your windshield leak? If so, that's the culprit.

There isn't much you can do to radios short of replacing them, unless you have a more-than-average knowledge of electronics. Stock 1st gen radios are so inexpensive you can pick up a replacement for less than $25.

as far as i know, the windshield doesnt leak, but its a very strong possibility, because its got the biggest crack in history...

the crack stretches from the left side, to about three inches from the right side, so anythings possible...

thanks

Mine does the same thing. Sometimes it works, mostly it doesn't. It's another one of those parts that can't be cost-justified for replacement on a 16 year old basic transportation-mobile. My back-up is a Sony walkman/radio.

If it's the AM/FM or the cassette, you can get replacements off parts vehicles pretty easily or even buy refurbished units. The CD player version isn't cheap, though.

If you feel like upgrading, you can get brand name (Pioneer, Kenwood, Blaupunkt) CD decks for pretty cheap these days. Cassette units are hard to find but can be had for even less. I'd suggest a new windshield before messing with the radio, though. If it is leaking from the crack, having it ruin a new radio would be a waste.

OK, I sprung for a new radio... a Dual HD(hybrid digital) for $99.99 from Crutchfield. Since it'll take a couple of days to get here, and I'm going to bypass the stock amplifier, I went ahead and started disassembling the pass. side rear trim to get to the amp. I had a leaking rear/side window and the leak flowed right past the amp (you could see the rust trail). In that high humidity environment, I'm guessing that the amp was at fault, not the radio. The radio would turn on, display the stations, tune in, etc. just no sound, most of the time. So, your radio might not be broken, it could be the amp.

Just a note on what i did...I came out better after trial and error of just running my own new speaker wires..I tried to bypass the amp with the factory wiring and that was a headache........

How exactly does one bypass the factory amp? When you do that, what takes its place, just the headunit?
I am getting alot of static from the left speaker only for some reason. Some say it is because the factory amp is still installed, with an aftermarket head unit. If that's the problem I'd like to do this bypass procedure.

How exactly does one bypass the factory amp? When you do that, what takes its place, just the headunit?
I am getting alot of static from the left speaker only for some reason. Some say it is because the factory amp is still installed, with an aftermarket head unit. If that's the problem I'd like to do this bypass procedure.

ok my amp was good but I upgraded the radio and they do not make a plug to adapt the new head unit. so I ran 4 set's of new wires one to each speaker. the rear speakers where the easy ones just tucked the wires under the splash gaurds and reached into where the speaker was mounted and pulled the wire up.. while you are doing this you will most likely notice the speakers are probally shot. I picked up 2 of last years sets of rockford's at best buy for 20$ a set. a world of diffrence

now u can cut the wire apart and resplice into it. but make sure u get your speaker lines to right polarity and the remote power is blue and the ground is the outter metal case

Do some searching in the Audio section of this site, these questions have been answered hundreds of times. You'll find way more info there than I can possibly repeat here. Links, wiring diagrams, etc.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Back