Stock sub/amp to aftrmrkt HU ADVICE | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Stock sub/amp to aftrmrkt HU ADVICE

Skeight651

Reaction score
City, State
Troy, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Sport
i just got my stock amp and sub hooked up to my aftermarket head unit on my '99 Sport. I hope this helps someone else out so here's what i did:

1. took the brown/orange and the red/black wire from the 4 wire stock connector and connected those to the positive and negative on an RCA. I plugged the RCA into my Sub out connection from my head unit. (This gives the amp a signal)

2. Then i spliced the teal/purple wire from the 4 wire stock connector into the yellow 12v constant that goes to my head unit. (This gives the amp power)

3. Lastly, i took the black ground wire from the 4 wire stock connector and spliced that in with the black ground wire running to my head unit. (This grounded the amp)

I turned on my car to check the connection, and just like that i was up and running. The stock sub isn't bad either. I was surprised.

Again, i hope this helps someone with a '99 sport. I know that some colors on the wires change between years.

i just put a stock hu back into my 01 sport and i have the upgraded system. i already have the wires for the amp and sub spliced but what should i connect those to for the factory wiring

i just put a stock hu back into my 01 sport and i have the upgraded system. i already have the wires for the amp and sub spliced but what should i connect those to for the factory wiring

If you have them spliced, they should have to go back into the 4-wire connector that plugs right into the stock stereo. I'm not sure on an '01, but there should be three plastic connectors that get plugged into the head unit. 1 for power and speakers and amp turn on and what not. 2 for the stock amp and sub. and 3 for... i'm not sure. ha,

if you're puting back in a stock stereo, you should just need to plug the connectors back in.

i hope this helped, i might just not understand the question sorry

Back