• Register Today It's free!

Storing an Explorer

dirtyXplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Arizona and Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT 4dr
Sadly I need to store my explorer for the school year.:( What can I do to protect the engine, battery, tires, and other parts? I need for it to stay movable if my family needs to move it.

I recently changed the oil but am worried about the rest of it sitting for along time. Last year I stored it for two months but this time it will be closer to six months.

The tires are only a few months old and I want to prevent rotting and such.

Any tips would help......Thanks:thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

just get someone to drive it around once a month.

i agree with sn0border. that's the best method.

but if not....put stabil in your gas tank once every few months or whatever it says on the bottle. It'll help keep the gas fresh and not break down. as for the oil, not sure....i'd just do an oil change right before you start driving it again.

the X needs to be started every once in a while to charge the battery...but to stop it from draining quicker...i'd disconnect any audio stuff (aftermarket like amps and subs)

best of all, keep it out of the weather and sunlight.

Also, if you have an alarm, you will need to disconnect or get someone to start it every week or so to keep from running the battery down.

Thanks sn0border88 and Monkey. I will see if I can have someone do that. Would it be alright to just idle it? if so how long?

Starting it and letting it idle is better than nothing, but it is a lot better if someone drives it once a month. Idle only helps keep the engine in good order, while driving it helps all of the moving parts of the car and that includes the tires which you say are new.

Mine has been on jackstands for nearly a year now. I changed the oil before I put it in, and will do them same when it's ready to come out. I try to start it every couple of weeks (starts great and purrs like kitten). My battery did get drained over the winter when I wasn't able to get out to the garage though. I bought a 20 dollar charger and let it trickle overnight and she fired right back up. When I do start it I just let it idle for a couple minutes, and throw a few revs in there too.

The only problem I see is it wont have any insurance or plates because I need to pay for my DD. Hopefully someone can take it around the block.

You live in Arizona, I would get a car cover and be done with it. You guys get about 3 inches of cold a decade.:D Seriously, it would be best if someone started it up at least once a month and all the fluids were kept in check. Other than that, due to where you live, there shouldn't be any real issues.

You live in Arizona, I would get a car cover and be done with it. You guys get about 3 inches of cold a decade.:D Seriously, it would be best if someone started it up at least once a month and all the fluids were kept in check. Other than that, due to where you live, there shouldn't be any real issues.

True, but the heat will reak havoc on all of the rubber, whether it be tires or anything else. During my 7 month deployments to Iraq(3 of them) I had my F-150 driven about once a month. If you can't find someone to drive it for you, it should go in the garage, on jack stands. Basically, unless you have an air conditioned garage, the heat will still dry all of that crap out. On jackstands, there won't be as much pressure, and you can still have it started once in a while. I recommend once every two weeks for starting because of the Arizona heat. Still the best would be to have some one drive it for you. Have mom or dad drive it to work once every two weeks...

put the truck on jack stands so the tires are not touching the ground
Put a bit of baking soda in the interior to eat any moisture that develops
Put stabil in the fuel
disconnect the battery

should be fine for 6 months like this

OR get somebody to drive it once a month
also a google search about how to store a vehicle will point you in the right direction

Shoot. mine sat for more then a year because the starter was bad. but once i turned 16 i put a new starter on, it started right up and drove fine. It ran like ass for a while but it was just bad gas and mildly pluged injectors, but after a tank of good gas, some injecter cleaner, and a race aginst my buddy's S10 blazer, it was good. Lots of blue smoke when it first started though. The battery was disconnected and it was sitting on soft dirt so the tires did not get flat spots. I have been driving it for more then 2 years and havent had any problems with it.

put the truck on jack stands so the tires are not touching the ground
Put a bit of baking soda in the interior to eat any moisture that develops
Put stabil in the fuel
disconnect the battery

should be fine for 6 months like this

OR get somebody to drive it once a month
also a google search about how to store a vehicle will point you in the right direction

Im bring this back from the dead!!!

The main thing I am worried about is the tires. I read after 8-10 years the rubber in tires expires. It looks like I may not be driving this thing regularly for another year or so. What can I do to keep my pretty much new tires in good shape? I like the jackstands method. If it is going to be outside would it be best to remove the tires and keep them inside? Thanks

i agree, lift the truck just a little bit, or you can get them to drive it aobut 15-20 miles a week.

Back