Strange dtc whit my transmission

act

Reaction score
City, State
PARIS
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996&1998
hello,

At first, sorry for my very bad English.

I have a 97 explorer whith a 5R55E transmission. The OD lamp is flashing.
I connect the OBD whit my computer, and I find a DTC P0401.

It's very strange,normally it's come from the EGR system !.My transmission works fine all the gear is ok but not the overdrive ( if I reset the DTC the overdrive is ok) and I check all the EGR system .

The fluid trans & filter are new, I clean all the conectors from the trans, I change my speed sensor from the transfer case, I change the VSS from the trans.

Please Help me , I'm going to be creazy whit this problem.

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is entirely possible that you DO have an unrelated DTC for the EGR, but that the transmission DTC which is causing your flashing light is a FORD proprietary code that your reader is incapable of reading/displaying. See if you cannot find someone with a reader capable of reading and displaying the FORD P1700 series of codes - I think it will provide something for us to go on.

thanks for the quick answer.
I find this code whit the Mobidyc interface it's a PWM protocole.Before, I resolve some problems whit this tool.
In france the ford service station can't read the DTC from us car ,because they use ISO protocole.

I'm ok whit you , the OD Flashing is about transmission probleme.
But why when I have some other DTC the check engine lamp is off ?Normaly when I found the P0401 my check engine lamp must be ON. I only see this lamp on when I put the key on Ignition position.
Tanks for your help.

Might be a pending DTC. Not sure if the scan tool you're using can read those but it might explain it. When you clear the P0401, you also clear any other DTC's that you can't read-- like the trans DTC's

what's tool do you use for read & clear the dtc on a explorer?

Back