strange problem, need help | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

strange problem, need help

The ignition timing can be adjusted by hooking it up to a computer. Too bad you did not have another PCM to test this with. To see if yours is bad or not.

Even if that was the case, I would need to have it flashed to be sure, I have a chipped car. What kind of computer? a programmer you mean?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have an effective solution on the "CAT" problem, just kick the cat in their a** they'll run off. ;) YEPPY!! Problem SOLVED :D

well this isn't facecrap, so i'll put this,
NintendoKD likes this:thumbsup:

New vid, enjoy, hope the audio quality is good enough to hear the pops in the exhaust. Listen close.

Don't wanna pull the tranny, don't wanna pull the tranny, don't wanna pull the tranny, don't wanna pull the tranny, don't wanna pull the tranny, don't wanna pull the tranny........ gonna havta pull he tranny, unless someone knows a betterway?

What exhaust is that man?

Does your truck have an egr?If it does pull the vacume line off of it and plug the line with your finger, not sure if you tried that yet. Also if you do you could have a large vac leak where it enters the plenum.

Even if that was the case, I would need to have it flashed to be sure, I have a chipped car. What kind of computer? a programmer you mean?

Tuner, programmer, computer, it all amounts to same thing. They have programs that can change the ignition timing. I doubt anyone has done that here. Like I said I wish you had a spare PCM to swap out. Something is making it misfire badly and I believe if it was the coils the PCM would throw a code.

Had another thought Crank Sensor. Also what kind of wires did you put on it?

What exhaust is that man?

I have a flowmaster, dual in single out dump, no pipe just dumps right out of the muffler..... if you can call it that. I set off car alarms and don't even try.:p:

Does your truck have an egr?If it does pull the vacume line off of it and plug the line with your finger, not sure if you tried that yet. Also if you do you could have a large vac leak where it enters the plenum.

Hmmmm...... I have not tried that, hold on. I have another video coming. I do not believe that I have a vac leak, I have sprayed everywhere. I am going to try pulling and cleaning the plugs. Thety were new, but that is before I changed the cats, running rich for so long has probably covered them with a lot of soot.

Tuner, programmer, computer, it all amounts to same thing. They have programs that can change the ignition timing. I doubt anyone has done that here. Like I said I wish you had a spare PCM to swap out. Something is making it misfire badly and I believe if it was the coils the PCM would throw a code.

Had another thought Crank Sensor. Also what kind of wires did you put on it?

My car has a security system, in other words there is a chip in the key, hence chipped, you cannot just simply swap the PCM, I have tried that, it just turns over and over and never starts. when I replaced the PCM that is tied to it, and ran a test with the solus, it threw a engine disable code and theft detection.
Could be the coils, what is the test for that? all six do the same thing the same way. could be going out despite being new. I put only autocrap plugs and wires, oops, I mean, Autocraft. I cleaned both the CPS and the CPS, the cam sensor was dirty, and still had a strong magnetic charge, the crank sensor was filthy, and also still had a strong magnetic charge. I cleaned the crap out of it, and disassembled it, I also added a self tapping screw to it, because I did not have any epoxy to put the housing and sensor back together like the way it was. I have pictures, stand by.

Chances of all the coils going bad at once is slim. I am looking for more information on the CPS man.

Ok, pulled egr vacuum, plugged it, pulls slight, if any, vacuum. I have a vacuum gauge, I'll record the value. I noticed no change in idle, also no change in acel.

Chances of all the coils going bad at once is slim. I am looking for more information on the CPS man.

like??? it ran worse after I cleaned it, don't know if that helps. I used a carb cleaner, and a penny to scape all of the crap off, pennies have zinc cores and are non-magnetic so it was perfect for this.

tested the cam sensor, 513 ohms. crank sensor, 423 ohms, both are good. I am running rich, I thought it might be the higher flowing exhaust, more specifically less backpressure, but I removed the airbox and it ran worse. What this means, is that there is another issue, The PCM, for whatever reason, is giving the motor more fuel, which I imagine is quenching the spark. I believe, as I have before, that I have a bad PCM, but I need proof, before I spend all of that cash on a new one, and have to get it flashed. What next? still runs like crap, still runs rich, still misfires, still won't pass an emissions test.:( I am so close I can smell it. My wife is on skype with my in laws so it may be a while before I can upload those pics and vid I promised.

Ok, so my water temp sensor is a little off, which could be my guage. Also my AIT when the key is on reads 70 ohms to ground on the signal wire, back-probed. For what I have read, this is very high. So at the very least, I need a new AIT. I believe, after talking thoroughly with aurora, that my FRP is probably bad. I will run ANOTHER fuel pressure test at the shop tomorrow. I will also do a much needed alignment. Thanks again for all of the help, all of you.

I have the Same year truck same engine had the same problems you have a bad mass air flow sensor,no cleaning it won't fix it.Replace it then it will probably pop a code for lean bank one trim replace the fuel injector and you will be good to go.

did the MAF test, like four times, got the same result each time. I'll go to Autozone tomorrow and get a new one, as well as a new front o2. "threw the p0135 code again" well see if that helps.

So no MAF or o2 today, but I ran a plethora of tests to see if the PCM is bad. Either I prove that the pcm is good and something else is the cause, or the PCM is bad. I tested the FPR, initially, I thought that it was bad, however, upon inspection of the hand vacuum pump, I realized that it was bad, and would not hold a vacuum. I used a different one and discovered that overall pressure is 30 psi at idle, at higher rpms, when vacuum drops off, the pressure does not change. I pumped it up to 20 inches of vacuum and got lower that 30 psi of fuel. At idle, I have 15 inches of vacuum, and without the fpr connected, I have 35 psi. with the fpr connected to vacuum I have ~29.9 psi fuel. During accel. fuel pressure drops steadily with accel below the 30 psi mark and when the accel lets up the fuel pressure drastically drops. the FPR does not leak fuel or vacuum. It looks like I need a new fuel pump right? dammit, just put one in here too.

So no MAF or o2 today, but I ran a plethora of tests to see if the PCM is bad. Either I prove that the pcm is good and something else is the cause, or the PCM is bad. I tested the FPR, initially, I thought that it was bad, however, upon inspection of the hand vacuum pump, I realized that it was bad, and would not hold a vacuum. I used a different one and discovered that overall pressure is 30 psi at idle, at higher rpms, when vacuum drops off, the pressure does not change. I pumped it up to 20 inches of vacuum and got lower that 30 psi of fuel. At idle, I have 15 inches of vacuum, and without the fpr connected, I have 35 psi. with the fpr connected to vacuum I have ~29.9 psi fuel. During accel. fuel pressure drops steadily with accel below the 30 psi mark and when the accel lets up the fuel pressure drastically drops. the FPR does not leak fuel or vacuum. It looks like I need a new fuel pump right? dammit, just put one in here too.

if you just put in a new one how could it be bad?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

pump issue??

this tends to happen when you buy stuff from "autojunk" I have personally seen this with a mustang owner, three fuel pumps from autozone were indeed bad, and did not push sufficient pressure, finally his fourth arrived from a warehouse in L.A. and it worked. What else could cause low pressure? I want to do a pressure test from the line coming from the pump to be sure. A drop in pressure could also be caused by the injectors injecting too much fuel, "a problem, I am definitely having" which has an underlying cause that perhaps I am unaware of. I just don't know.

Back