Strange vibration at lower speeds | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Strange vibration at lower speeds

According to the parts stores... a 2wd auto mount is the same as a 2wd manual mount. None of the stores had a listing for a manual trans mount for an Explorer, so I told them to look up a 92 ranger, then cross reference the part number. I then got my information that I just mentioned.

I did notice some vibration at 55mph in 5th gear, tach turning 11-1200rpm (guessing). It only did it at this speed while going up hill. If I down shifted to 4th @ 55mph vibration went away. Then I got it between 60-65 shifted to 5th no vibration.

As far as the binding goes it isn't so much a struggle to get it in gear as it's very quick to come out when I press the clutch (keep in mind this is go up a heck of a hill). I have only noticed this problem maybe less than 5 times.

I lean towards a bad mount, because I had an eclipse one time that was missing a trans mount, and caused all kinds of havoc.

Are we sure that U-joints wouldn't be a problem.... again I know ANYTHING is possible.... I'm under the impression that everything EXCEPT: all the fluids, spark plugs, spark plug wires, clutch kit and slave cylinder, water pump, radiator and hoses, heater core, and serpentine belt; all have over 200k miles.

I don't know if U-Joints are a problem or not on your truck. Jack your truck up so your rear wheels are off the ground and pull or push on your driveshaft in whatever directions, see if it moves relative to the u-joint. If it shakes around, then the U-Joint is bad, and that should be where your problem is.

I only pointed out balljoints cause they are commonly overlooked, and I wouldn't want you to start throwing parts and such at it if you couldn't find anything.

As for a vibration going uphill in 5th at 55..... That might have been from being a little low on power.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Okay, since I started this thread, the vibration got worse in 2nd and 3rd gear almost to the point of unbearable to drive.

I called a buddy of mine a few days ago (ASE cert mech) and more versed in fords, I described it to him and he asked "does your @$$ vibrate in the passenger seat?" I told him I can feel it on the drivers side real good, and the dash shook fairly violently. He said trans mount.

Today I picked up a trans mount and installed it, the VIOLENT shaking is gone!! All the shaking that is left is the kind I had before.... I attribute this to the excessively worn front end which I can do nothing about until tax time.

I was just giving a report on my findings, and thanks for all the suggestions.

No more vibration!!!

Okay today I replaced the u-joints today.... AND HOLY CRAP WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!!!!

THERE IS NO MORE VIBRATION!!!!

The truck is smooth as butter now... minus the suspension that is deathly overdue for replacement, by that I mean all of it... ball joints and shocks.

The u-joints were factory I'm pretty sure... one side was stamped "HD" the other side had the ford logo stamped on it. I gotta give it to ford and their parts, because these had 204,580 miles on them.

Thanks for all your help in trying to help me figure it out.

Back from the dead.

I have a similar issue but do not think its tranny mounts but need some opinions. FYI this didnt become an issue until after i replaced hubs
First; 2002 Explorer sport 4WD early model year second gen.

Been having issues with front driver side....most everyone I spoke to said its wheel bearings so I replaced both sides and went pretty text book...no issues removing or installing......passenger side is wonderful but now i am getting weird vibrations between 25-40mph......its constant and can really be felt if i get it up just past 40mph and let off gas.....it feels like a bearing and only really feels like its driver side & also i can feel "something" when i turn right as i assume its putting pressure on driver side.....now things iv done & checked

New tie rods 5K ago
Just replaced hub bearing; torque to ford specs.
Ball joints upper and lower are tight; no movement.
CV axle shaft looks good; rubber in good shape no weird play or clicking around corners.
Rotated tires front to back and no change.
Passenger caliper looks like it might be sticking

Any ideas? anything else to check? I am mechanically inclined and am BROKE so i can not take it to a shop so i need to do this myself

Thanks In advance

Doug

I know this is a long shot but here's my question:

I have noticed a vibration between 25-40 mph. (2nd & 3rd gears) I have noticed this vibration over the course of the last 3-5 days.

I know that it could be any of the following:

Tire, u-joints, or worn out suspension parts.

My front suspension is in dire need of everything needing replaced tie rods/ drag links and shocks. I'm just really broke right now...:rolleyes:

The vibration isn't absolutely horrible just annoying. It kinda feels more like the LF tire, but I'm unsure(hence why I'm asking here).

I can feel the vibration through the steering wheel and the dash kinda shakes.

Could this possibly be the transmission mount? I know anything is possible, I would like to try and narrow it down.

Anyone could you please point me in the general area, and if you need more info, I will do my best to give it to you.

I know this is literally 5 years later. But my 01 x sport is doing exactly this. Shaking between 25-45/50 mph. Then smooth again. Just had front end rebuilt as it was diagnosed as the problem. Solved nothing. 4 new tires balanced and aligned. Now being told it's maybe a tranny issue. Does anyone know what the issue here was? (2001 ford ex sport 2wd automatic)

I'm getting similar vibes from my 1994 4x4 XLT auto, except it starts when I hit 55 usually, sometimes persists when I reduce to city speeds. When I rev up it stops, for a few minutes. On top of that her fuel gauge quit working. Sadly I am not a mechanicky owner, so any tips, pointers, anything really, would be appreciated. I don't know when Baby's last tune up was. I laid claim to her this past February, but according to the st Vincent car lot the previous owner babied her. Please, help me fix my Baby up so she runs like new again.

I have noticed a vibration between 25-40 mph. (2nd & 3rd gears) I have noticed this vibration over the course of the last 3-5 days.

My front suspension is in dire need of everything needing replaced tie rods/ drag links and shocks. I'm just really broke right now...:rolleyes:

The vibration isn't absolutely horrible just annoying. It kinda feels more like the LF tire, but I'm unsure(hence why I'm asking here).

Could this possibly be the transmission mount? I know anything is possible, I would like to try and narrow it down.

Anyone could you please point me in the general area, and if you need more info, I will do my best to give it to you.
Before you decide on expensive repairs get the vehicle off the ground and have a very good look at the exhaust system. Bank 2 sensor 1 seems to be a problem area for the harness to touch the pipe in that area. It's just a tight and uncomfortable place to deal with is all. For most others this area is where short cuts are taken. I shared all your symtoms and even thought at one point I may have had a bad transmission. It drove me crazy because I was getting no warning lights. It was the second inspection I did when I found the O2 sensor connector melted against the pipe where it wasn't visible the first time. That's where the vibration comes into play when the sensors are telling the computer the engine needs more fuel, then immediately saying there's too much fuel. Almost like having a bad injector. 1 connector, and 4 new O2 sensors later and it was driving beautifully. No more annoying vibrations.

Before you decide on expensive repairs get the vehicle off the ground and have a very good look at the exhaust system. Bank 2 sensor 1 seems to be a problem area for the harness to touch the pipe in that area. It's just a tight and uncomfortable place to deal with is all. For most others this area is where short cuts are taken. I shared all your symtoms and even thought at one point I may have had a bad transmission. It drove me crazy because I was getting no warning lights. It was the second inspection I did when I found the O2 sensor connector melted against the pipe where it wasn't visible the first time. That's where the vibration comes into play when the sensors are telling the computer the engine needs more fuel, then immediately saying there's too much fuel. Almost like having a bad injector. 1 connector, and 4 new O2 sensors later and it was driving beautifully. No more annoying vibrations.

I'm getting similar vibes from my 1994 4x4 XLT auto, except it starts when I hit 55 usually, sometimes persists when I reduce to city speeds. When I rev up it stops, for a few minutes. On top of that her fuel gauge quit working. Sadly I am not a mechanicky owner, so any tips, pointers, anything really, would be appreciated. I don't know when Baby's last tune up was. I laid claim to her this past February, but according to the st Vincent car lot the previous owner babied her. Please, help me fix my Baby up so she runs like new again.
Hope this helps. Remember your engine does not remain still. On acceleration your engine drops down and to the right. Once it settles the engines rises back up. If the geometry is the same you could be experiencing the same issue with wires grounding out. If the vibration had you inspecting the dampner and tires and you're at a loss still. Just perform a detailed inspection underneath with very good lighting. Be meticulous about it. Besides it also acquaintes you better with your own vehicle. Just hoping to help others with my experience. Good luck.

I know this is literally 5 years later. But my 01 x sport is doing exactly this. Shaking between 25-45/50 mph. Then smooth again. Just had front end rebuilt as it was diagnosed as the problem. Solved nothing. 4 new tires balanced and aligned. Now being told it's maybe a tranny issue. Does anyone know what the issue here was? (2001 ford ex sport 2wd automatic)
2002 Explorer XLS experienced the same problems which had me scratching my head for nearly a month but not wanting to chase the issue. I read as much as I could about others who were dealing with the same problem and I found 2 stories that made me love the Explorer all over again. One was a transmission mount swap and the other was grounded wires on the exhaust system. I believe the melted connector was the main reason but the mount as cheap as it was I replaced it anyhow. It's like finding the end of the tunnel after 3 days to find a pool of spring water and sunlight. Wish everyone the best.

Back