Strangest Wind Noise I've Ever Heard | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Strangest Wind Noise I've Ever Heard

Gansett

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Ford Explorer
Hi- I'm new here and hoping someone can help! I've done some searching and see lots of "wind noise" threads but thought I would add this one. I was actually able to record the noise the other day. Here is the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9QUDWDkb5M

It's a 2010 Ford Explorer EB, V6, all-wheel drive.

It only happens when driving directly into an oncoming head-wind. If it's an especially windy day, it's REALLY bad. It comes from the right-bottom inside area of the passenger side. I've had two dealers try and diagnose and of course neither could hear it. I've tried opening and closing vents, window up or down, sunroof closed or open, etc... and it's got me stumped. My only thought is the windshield. It's happened since new and we've got 30k on this. It's my wife's and she's way more patient then me...... but after 30k it's starting to really get to her too! Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome, I would like to be able to assist you but the link you posted is :dead:, and the description you provided is a little vague
It comes from the right-bottom inside area of the passenger side.
Please indicate if this is near the bottom of the window or down where your feet would go! This will help us help you!

Good point, sorry! It's coming from the dash area. Pretty much right where the video is pointed. Near where the windshield meets the dash. I've driven around trying to pin-point it further but it's difficult.

Thanks for the help-

I have that same problem driving into strong winds on the right side.....I thought it was my passenger side mirror... Pls get that youtube link fixed...I want to hear it....

Should be fine now, sorry guys. I switched the video to public!

You found Steamboat Willy!

Check your blower for proper seals, and make sure the blower "cooling" line is connected at both ends. Its the weird hose that connects to the blower motor casing from the evap box.

To find out if its the windshield, have someone move their hand along the seal while its whistling. When the sound "changes", you found the spot.

Bobmbx- thanks for the input. I've tried running my hand along the inside of the windshield without much luck. I can't get my hand down far enough to really give it a good try. I feel like I need to be on the outside of the windshield, but that's probably not a good idea.

When you say check the blower, i'm assuming you mean under the hood? This sound will rear it's ugly head with or without the air on, would that still be a possibility?

Hi- I'm new here and hoping someone can help! I've done some searching and see lots of "wind noise" threads but thought I would add this one. I was actually able to record the noise the other day. Here is the video.

Hi Gansett.

I'd like to take a look at this for you. Could you PM me your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info? I'll see how I can help.

I have that same problem driving into strong winds on the right side.....I thought it was my passenger side mirror... Pls get that youtube link fixed...I want to hear it....

Have you taken your Explorer to a dealer yet, mgmgmg? Let me know what they had/have to say!

Ashley

It's got to be something shaped like a reed, in direct contact with the high velocity wind. I was thinking maybe the wiper frame, but can't imagine it being that distinct inside. Wouldn't take a second to remove it and see if it changes...

Oh, what about the antenna? You could wrap it in duct tape or tie it in a different position, or put a ball on top, or something, and see if that works.

To add to Ornery's Idea of the reed effect have you looked closely at the rubber pierce that is the trim piece around the windshield, or even the plastic Cowl under the wipers? A little making tape on the trim pieces and a drive could help narrow it down!

Yeah, I hear ya on the reed sound. Makes a lot of sense. I'm going to do some checking today...... It's happened since it rolled off the lot, so whatever it is must have been defective from new. I'll try what you mentioned, thanks for the help! I'll let you know how it goes!

Hi Gansett.

I'd like to take a look at this for you. Could you PM me your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info? I'll see how I can help.

Have you taken your Explorer to a dealer yet, mgmgmg? Let me know what they had/have to say!

Ashley

My sound is nothing like that!! The sound is more deeper and is coming from the glove box area.. It happened twice on very windy days 35+ mph..Its not an issue with me yet... Maybe someone in the forums can point me in the direction where to look....I would like to know what the problem is with gansett.

Try removing the antenna to see if it helps.

Bobmbx- thanks for the input. I've tried running my hand along the inside of the windshield without much luck. I can't get my hand down far enough to really give it a good try. I feel like I need to be on the outside of the windshield, but that's probably not a good idea.

When you say check the blower, i'm assuming you mean under the hood? This sound will rear it's ugly head with or without the air on, would that still be a possibility?

Its a possibility. The sound reminds me of blowing across the top of a coke bottle (before I-phones and 24-hour TV, this is what we did for fun).

The sound could be made by the end of a hose (that's not connected to anything) that catches the wind just right and "toots". The blower cooling line can do it, as well as the hole in the blower motor and the air box that the line plugs into.

Who knows.....maybe a "friend" planted a childs toy train whistle under your car to drive you crazy.

check the rubber seal around the windshield, u will find a spot where the seal is not making good contact or the rubber is unglued from the windshield.

check the rubber seal around the windshield, u will find a spot where the seal is not making good contact or the rubber is unglued from the windshield.

Thanks for the suggestions. I looked today and couldn't see anything out of the ordinary. But then again it was difficult to see as I had to slide the molding aside to look. I'm going to try again, or maybe call a windshield company.

Is there a spot specifically I should look at? Did this happen to you too?

Thanks,
Dave

Strange Wind Noise Resolved

I had the exact same wind noise in my 2010 Mountaineer. Drove me nuts for six months after I bought it. Finally fixed it by putting clear silicone RTV around the entire seam where the weather stripping meets the windshield (thank you for the tip!). Applied a small bead at the seam and pushed it into the seam with my finger. Cleaned up with a dry towel. Not a peep in the last two weeks and you can't see the RTV application. May Steamboat Willie rest in peace.

Back