STS Turbo 01 Explorer sport vs v8 S10 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

STS Turbo 01 Explorer sport vs v8 S10

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oh yes, I'd put that up not too far behind the Amsoil, much better than other brands.

It wouldn't hurt to add more fluid capacity, and filtering. I have the makings of, so soon I'll be there. I have this to add, a 2nd cooler, 2 quart larger pan, and a bypass oil system(2 filters for about 2.5 quarts). With a smaller torque converter I will likely have about 16 quarts in my trans. That's a lot of expensive fluid.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the deeper tranny pan so that's helping a little I guess.

I just talked to the PATC tech guy and he was a little more positive about building one of these trannies for me. He said he could do it and was going thru all the upgrades he could do for me...clutches, torque convertor with a 3000 stall, shift kit, and other things. I could drop the truck off with him cuss he's in Shreveport LA. He said he built one for a ranger that had a supercharger and the tranny lasted. The owner of the truck decided to go with a V8.

This will be pricey but there are options.

The only thing I don't like about running two coolers and another filter is it seems to me this puts added stress on the pump? I think what I'll do is upgrade the stock cooler with the best one I can find. I've said this before but never got around to it. If anyone has any suggestions about a good tranny cooler; the best, let me know your thoughts.

Well the key is to not to run coolers in series. Split the flow with a "Y" adapter and run them in parallel. That reduces restriction instead of increasing it. Most external filters should be very nonrestrictive, the big FL1A size spin on type. My bypass adapter(same as Al has for his engine), it has huge inlet and outlet holes, and each filter feeds off of those independently. So that isn't really a big restriction.

That's good that you have done some trans shopping around. Try Edge Converters also, see if they make anything for the 5R55E. Ask for Andre if you have a choice, he's good to talk with.

I'll be getting my 5R55W rebuilt when the time comes. I found a guy in CA that will do a built trans. He is the only place in the country that I found that has a hardened input shaft for it. Every other place uses the weak stock 5/8" input shaft.

Not sure if they can do much for the 5R55E trans though.

http://www.larrystransmission.com/

I'll be getting my converter from another place.

http://www.dirtydogperformance.com/converters/ford/5r55-n/s/w-/cat_12.html

Can you get a 4R70 to bolt up to your engine? If so, there is a stand-alone controller for tuning.

http://www.becontrols.com/products/products.htm

There would have to be either a custom Bellhousing made or an adaptor.

During my search I did find this. The problem is you loose overdrive but you wouldn't have to worry much about a built C4, and there are torque convertors for it.

4.0 SOHC TO C4 BELLHOUSING.jpg

TAIL_HOUSING.jpg

Yes, I know. I think I can get it in the 12's the way it is. I know it won't hold it long.
I ran LOW 12.7x's for 200+ passes and also ran probably 600 passes before the tranny started slipping. This doesn't include the multiple passes I made n/a'd. I would run it till you run into a problem, why create one?
With the little options there are, I think James went the right way. The 5R55S with the right bell housing. The problem I see he's having is the tuning of the tranny. If he can't get it under control and consistent then there's no way I'll be doing this.

I just wish there were options for the 5R55E and I still don't see why this tranny has such a bad rep. I have had NO, ZERO, ZILCH, and NOTTA issues from it. Then again, I don't hot lap and keep beating on it. I make a pass and slow down; same thing on the streets...get on it and slow down. I'm not a formula one driver.

I think I'm going to make some calls and see what I come up with.

I guess what I'm leading too is you can't take a tranny with over 100K on it, turn the boost up to 12LBS of boost, and call it a bad tranny cuss it didn't hold.
My trans would never hold above 9# boost till it started slipping. If I turned the boost down it would complete the shift. When I ran the 8.27 in the 1/8th I had to back pedal in the 1-2 & 2-3 shift-still ran 84.51mph. Man those were the days, that truck made power!

I'll be getting my 5R55W rebuilt when the time comes. I found a guy in CA that will do a built trans. He is the only place in the country that I found that has a hardened input shaft for it. Every other place uses the weak stock 5/8" input shaft.

Can you get a 4R70 to bolt up to your engine? If so, there is a stand-alone controller for tuning.

A 4r70 won't bolt to your truck! You will have to have the bellhousing machined off and and go to an adapted bellhousing. Not only that the 4R70/aod-e will absorb around 25-35hp more than the tranny you are using. The 5R's only absorb around 1-2 hp over a manual!

There would have to be either a custom Bellhousing made or an adaptor.

During my search I did find this. The problem is you loose overdrive but you wouldn't have to worry much about a built C4, and there are torque convertors for it.

View attachment 54381

View attachment 54382

You will lose 2 gears and lockup, why do you think the 4.0L is so lethal? It never drops too many rpm. It is always in the powerband. If you convert to a 5R55S, all I can say is bless you man! I still have issues with mine. I am in the process of another build currently! The trans is on temporary hold. Basically I just drive it, go to the track on the weekend.-j

Dirty dog doesn't carry any worthwhile parts for the 5R55e, neither does larrys transmission. I have already been down this road. As far as controllers Bauman makes an excellent controller but it is limited to the Ford 4 speed trans. If you get a 5 or 6 speed it is a paperweight. PTCS is the best for any application.

James - Did you ever try and shift by the MPH and not the RPM? Just curious because I told you about the problem I had hitting the rev limiter and correcting it by changing the tune around. I noticed in the tune you did for me that you were trying to shift by RPM’s. I wonder if torque reduction during the shift would have helped you?

Not saying anything bad here but sometimes it takes other eyes on something to find solutions.

Any yes, you were making a lot of power out of that motor to run a 12 second pass. I'll see what I can do to match you.

I do alot of stuff different now with my shifting. I match my speed and rpm during the shift-j

Well, I'm trying to get the truck ready for the track tonight but I'm not sure I'll make it cuss the truck is half apart again... ;( I'm hoping for lower 13's but really need a meth injection kit to increase the timing and run a little more boost. I'm thinking I'll stop at 11 - 12 LBS, once the injection kit is installed, and what ever that get's me is where I'll end this build.
(Unless I decide to build the motor)

Today, along with a few other things, I'm installing a new knock sensor so I can make it safe (I hope)

So to get this truck in the 12's I need:

1) Better tires and a little shorter to get me in the power band faster. (not too short; I'm thinking 295 45 18's for the back. This is just a smidge shorter and it probably won't make a difference at all)

2) Methenal injection and keep working the tune.

3) Raise the shift points up a tad.

Good weather will help also....

Sounds like a plan. Hope to hear back tonight with some positive results!!!

It's not looking to good for tonight. No one in this town has any 295 45 18's in stock.... ;(

The clouds are starting to roll in too.

I just finished bedlining the front and ran out; have to go to the store for more and this crap probably won't be dried right.....I feel like I'm rushing to much so I need to sloooooooow it down. I planned on doing some quick datalogs before the track so that probably won't happen. If I do make it, I'll have to do the datalogs at the track I guess. I don't think they'll mind the laptop in the truck but I've never tried it.

I made it to the track. The best I could do was:

.4968 Reaction
2.0716 60'
8.5980 1/8 @ 81.48
13.4304 1/4 @ 101.58

The other runs were a bunch of 13.60's and I lost it on one run and ran a 14.1

I didn't have time to change anything from last week other than some minor adjustments in the tune. I've confirmed that tires are holding me back. I cannot launch higher than 2300 RPM's without spinning like crazy with these POS tires.

Congrats on your new personal best!!! Once you get your tires and meth hooked up, the times will start falling. Keep it up and glad to hear your motor is still holding up:D

It's holding up but does have me worried at the track.

Back