Fix4Dirt

Get a Load O' This Guy!
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT 4x4
soooooo rear driver side door is stuck........... locked. the handle is limp, and the lock/unlock stick thing wont come al the way up. have tried body checking the door and trying to pull lock up to open. just need to get it open once so can fix the issue... any ideas on how to do it, so the door card can be removed? thanks! :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First, try everything you can to jiggle, click, double click, and pull to get the door open.

You already know how to remove the interior door panel IF the door were open. IF ONLY you could get the interior door panel off, you know that you can pull the door lock rod to open the door...

BUT, if door will not open, you will have to remove the door panel in exactly the same way (but with MUCH less access). I recall unscrewing the Phillips head screws in the interior door lock area, then pulling the interior door panel by hand to remove the accessible Christmas tree fasteners in the panel… and then prying down with a canoe paddle to lever off the fasteners that were NOT accessible.

It really seemed like the interior door panel would break. I figured I had access to salvage parts if it snapped, so I kept prying. Eventually, it worked; the interior door panel was removed; and the door was opened by pulling on the rod.

Good luck. You got this!

First, try everything you can to jiggle, click, double click, and pull to get the door open.

You already know how to remove the interior door panel IF the door were open. IF ONLY you could get the interior door panel off, you know that you can pull the door lock rod to open the door...

BUT, if door will not open, you will have to remove the door panel in exactly the same way (but with much less access). I recall unscrewing th Phillips head screws in the interior door lock area, then pulling the interior door panel by hand to remove the accessible Christmas tree fasteners in the panel… and then prying down with a canoe paddle to lever off the fasteners that were NOT accessible.

It really seemed like the interior door panel would break. I figured I had access to salvage parts if it snapped, so I kept prying. Eventually, it worked; the interior door panel was removed; and the door was opened by pulling on the rod.

Good luck. You got this!
have tried everything but finding a railroad crossing with speed ;) (which i will not do!)

will try those tips next weekend! not a big deal, since the other ones all work, but certainly a nuisance at times! will try to get it off, luckily i have smaller fingers & hands!

Try unscrewing the lock button a bit, might get enough “meat” to pull it upwards
Otherwise remove the screws and remove the door panel it will come off

Open the driver door reach in there
then pull on the lock rod and the handle at the same time wiggle and both jiggle them both it'll open

Then install the helper spring

Back