Stupid auto climate going crazy. HELP! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Stupid auto climate going crazy. HELP!

Reaction score
City, State
Lansing, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Explorer EB V8 AWD
I have a '00 Explorer, eddie bauer with the automatic climate control.

When I bought it the fan would only work on high. I could turn the dial down on the manual fan control and it would stop. So it was high or nothing, Very common. I replaced the electronic resister thingy under the hood. That was in November.

Now as soon as I turn the key on the fan is on high, no matter what. The climate control works like it should, changes temps, moves from defrost to floor, ect. but the dang fan is just blasting away on high and won't shut off.

What do you guys think? Is it the electronic resister thingy under the hood or is the control inside screwed?

TIA, Matt.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

as far as i know there are two things that control the fan speed. the fan control module (sounds like that's what you replaced once) and the EATC unit itself. i don't know which is causing your problem. there is a self diagnostic test that can be performed on the EATC unit (some combination of buttons held down for so many seconds), but i understand that even though the self-test doesn't see a problem it doesn't mean there's not one. i found it on the internet once. you can find used EATC's on ebay or you can send yours off to be rebuilt (electronics, mechanicals and o-rings) for about $100. again, i found the company that rebuilds them on the internet via a Google search.

edit: look here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAqE-oYnvlQ

There is at least one A/C shop here in Atlanta that sells the refurbished EATC units; I believe that their price is $99. Check around and maybe you can find a specialy shop near you that does the same thing, if you don't want to deal over the internet. Mine stopped turning the AC compressor on/off last year; found some instructions on this site to disassemble it and resolder a relay on the board that fixed it right up. Good luck.

Thanks guys. I think it is the EATC unit. Everything started workin fine last night on my way to a meeting. After the meeting, it went wacky again. I'll try the test, see what I find...

EATCSelfTest.jpg

Thanks for the replies and info you guys. Here's what's up now:

The fan will only work in high, auto does nothing.

When I try to change the temp, something in the heater core area starts clicking or snapping. I'm guessing the thing a ma bob that moves something is stripped.

Any ideas here?

Does anyone have a parts diagram that shoes what's in there?

This really sucks! -3 here this morning. :(

sounds like the infamous blend door problem. there are many posts and sticky's on this common problem. there's a quick fix and a very involved door replacement fix. this shouldn't have anything to do with your fan problem.

I took the glove box out and could feel the clicking coming from the actuator thingy. Removed it and found that the blend door wasn't broke (WOW) and then I removed the actuator and popped it apart and found a few teeth missing on one of the gears.

Actuator and resistor module on order....

$116.58, a new resistor module, blend actuator, a sore thumb, a little sweat, some scatches and few swear words it's all fixed.

Thanks for your help guys.

~Matt.

contrats! now go have a beer (or two).

Back