Automatic climate control problems | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Automatic climate control problems

I'm onto something. When I tested the Dual Digital Climate Control previously, the vehicle was just started. However when driving and I/we notice the warm air arriving in passenger side change to cold, I performed the test again. BINGO! I got a code of 2267... not sure at this moment what that means. When heat was again coming out of passenger side, I tested and all was good (888s). So my problem is intermittent.

as post in other thread states "2267 means RH blend door failure or short. "

I already did all this and replaced with aftermarket part...
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...ght=blend+door

Is there another blend door (that is not on the driver side)?
Is the part I put in bad?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm onto something. When I tested the Dual Digital Climate Control previously, the vehicle was just started. However when driving and I/we notice the warm air arriving in passenger side change to cold, I performed the test again. BINGO! I got a code of 2267... not sure at this moment what that means. When heat was again coming out of passenger side, I tested and all was good (888s). So my problem is intermittent.

as post in other thread states "2267 means RH blend door failure or short. "

I already did all this and replaced with aftermarket part...
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...ght=blend+door

Is there another blend door (that is not on the driver side)?
Is the part I put in bad?

found it on YouTube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-36aM360V8

Video has overlay with link to obtain the part.

EATC Diagnosis

Hi all, Lots of great info. Thanks all. Blend door actuator removed and not working. Replaced with Dorman still not working. Maybe no elect from automatic AC Control? Cannot get EATC control panel to go into diagnosis mode after following instr in this thread multiple times.

Any additional ideas. I don't know if the problem is two bad actuators or the control panel or ....

1998 Explorer Eddie Bower 4wd 4.0 SOHC

EATC suspected

1st post ever here; apologies if not correctly placed. Patience please.

'97 Eddie Bauer, 4.0, auto, with EATC.

Start it up, turn on A/C...blows cool air briefly, then switches to hot.
Self-test returns code 025;
blend door actuator has already been replaced, with correct part.
Sounds like it cycles from one end to the other and back.
Beginning to suspect the EATC controller;
have tried disconnecting the battery for a 'hard' reset.
Stayed cold after reset only twice.
Went from cold to hot on demand, but would not return to cold.

Is there something I have missed? Thanks.

Hi there. I´m having a similar problem with my automatic climate control. You turn the AC on and when it wroks, but some times it blows hot air. I´ve noticed that when it does this, it seems to me that both the AC and heater are working at the same time, compressor keeps working, but the hot air prevails.
Blend door seems to be working ok.
I tried de self test and nothing comes out, but I don´t see nothing changing on the display when entering self test mode.
I´ll have to do the hard reset unplugging the battery.
But what I see and hear wrong its a noise inside the dashboard, sounds like a "Clanck" on the center or center right hand, just behind the glove comparment. Right where the blen door is located, to its left, there is a "module" with a plug prong, if disconected the sound stops. Any help on this "module" please, what is for? Can it be bad?

Hi there. I´m having a similar problem with my automatic climate control. You turn the AC on and when it wroks, but some times it blows hot air. I´ve noticed that when it does this, it seems to me that both the AC and heater are working at the same time, compressor keeps working, but the hot air prevails.
Blend door seems to be working ok.
I tried de self test and nothing comes out, but I don´t see nothing changing on the display when entering self test mode.
I´ll have to do the hard reset unplugging the battery.
But what I see and hear wrong its a noise inside the dashboard, sounds like a "Clanck" on the center or center right hand, just behind the glove comparment. Right where the blen door is located, to its left, there is a "module" with a plug prong, if disconected the sound stops. Any help on this "module" please, what is for? Can it be bad?

Welcome, and that's the blend door actuator.

My AC is still the same way, like yours. It sometimes works perfectly, cold AC, but when it does that it's only for while the temperature is set low enough to keep the blend door selected to be fully "cold." Moving the temp to any higher amount that begins to change the blend door(warmer), it will not cool again.

I think mine has the blend door basically sticking, and it is easily actuator moved to the hot side. When it does blow warm/hot with the AC on, the only way it can cool again is from a random command of full AC again. Typically that only happens by turning the AC on every time I get in and start it, hoping the blend door moves to the cold side. I often smack the lower dash prior to turning on the AC when I know it's been stuck on the hot side.

Thus my 98 dash has to come out to get at the blend door, or cut into it like others have done. I've avoided that, not really knowing what's wrong before cutting into that blend door area.

As a temporary solution for hot weather, you may want to use the "MAX A/C" position. This turns off the coolant flow to the heater core, so even with the blend door in the wrong position, the air coming out of the evaporator is not re-heated. If the heater flow valve (just next to the firewall under the hood) is bad, you can simply disable it.

My AC is still the same way, like yours. It sometimes works perfectly, cold AC, but when it does that it's only for while the temperature is set low enough to keep the blend door selected to be fully "cold." Moving the temp to any higher amount that begins to change the blend door(warmer), it will not cool again.

I think mine has the blend door basically sticking, and it is easily actuator moved to the hot side. When it does blow warm/hot with the AC on, the only way it can cool again is from a random command of full AC again. Typically that only happens by turning the AC on every time I get in and start it, hoping the blend door moves to the cold side. I often smack the lower dash prior to turning on the AC when I know it's been stuck on the hot side.

Thus my 98 dash has to come out to get at the blend door, or cut into it like others have done. I've avoided that, not really knowing what's wrong before cutting into that blend door area.

As a temporary solution for hot weather, you may want to use the "MAX A/C" position. This turns off the coolant flow to the heater core, so even with the blend door in the wrong position, the air coming out of the evaporator is not re-heated. If the heater flow valve (just next to the firewall under the hood) is bad, you can simply disable it.

I do use just the MAX AC when the blend door is to the cold side, and try then to never use the other controls. That can for mine keep it cooling for weeks. Unfortunately first thing in the morning it's really hard to remember that, and not hit the defrost button. In the morning that will make the bland door move to the warm side, and bam it's blowing hot again.

I have replaced the HCV(heater control valve) thinking it was leaking hot coolant through it. I have wire tired the HCV closed(more than the normal position), and it still will blow hot even with the HCV disabled/closed. I don't know how there is that much heat getting in there when the AC is working, but it does. Only when the blend door in mine is rarely somehow to the cold side, then I will get nice cold air. But I can at any time change the setting to aim for a warmer level that moves the blend door at all. Mine won't move just a little, if moves at all from the cold side, it goes to full hot immediately. So the AC and heater will run together, both processing the same air. I think the airflow goes through the heater core last.

I have a spare AC dash assembly, planned to swap in for ages. I'll do that if I can get plenty of free time, which isn't going to be soon.

I kind of like the other rare heater type better, some have no HCV at all. The coolant goes into the firewall constantly in my Mark VII. The temp sensors and EATC decides which way to run the air, around the heater core or through it. I don't know how those cool so well, but they do. Those also have a restrictor in the heater hose, supposedly to reduce turbulence and noise etc. I've thought about adding a HCV for them, but they do work fine as they are.

Hi, and thanks for the info... I found this post very helpfull
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272849
I decided to buy the blend door actuator to replace it, but I don´t have the tools... well a small ratchet tool to get to the screw on the back.

What I did in the mean time, knowing what the problem was and using some logic on this. I hard reseted the system unpluggin the battery. When I turned on the AC again, it started blowing very cold air, so I unplugged the blend door actuator stopping any movement to the blend door...

Back