Number4

"I'm counting to 3, then I'm getting your dad."
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Woodstock, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Ford Explorer 4.6l
I picked up a Pioneer FH-X500UI for $50 new. I have a Kicker DX 250.1 AMP and Kicker 8" subwoofer.

The Pioneer has switchable rear preamp outputs. I understand I want to use these so that the Fader (which I don't use) won't impact the sub.

The manual for the Pioneer isn't clear on this setup. I don't know how to make the output switched.

Also, there's all sorts of settings the unit wants for the sub.

SUB .W CTRL 50/63/80/100/125/160/200HZ : (options, -? to +6) : -12 or -6

SUB .W: OFF/NOR/REV

HPF Settings: OFF/50/63/80/100/125/160/200hz : -12 or -6.

Problem I have, is I don't hear my sub, nor any changes to the sound.
I'll test power to my sub in second, it should be good to go.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm just trying to get the sub back in the mix. It worked fine with my Kenwood head unit.

Okay, AMP is getting key on power and the sub is playing sound, it's just real quiet.

Is the issue that the head unit is trying to control the sub instead of letting the AMP do it?

Alright, so I still don't understand the switchable preamp outputs and where to "switch" them.

The reason I wasn't hearing the sub, was because I wasn't going into the positive number side.

As far as I can tell, it's all working fine. Is it better or worse than my Kenwood was? I have no clue.

I prefer Pioneer decks, but some of their phrasing in settings can be confusing.

If you have Sub W off, it makes the sub/rear output the rear output. Turning it on enables sub output.

The other 2 are just high pass filters and what not which you don't really need to play with. The Sub amp should be capable of that.

Back