• Register Today It's free!

Subs in tailgate?

damagexinc

Reaction score
City, State
Melrose Park, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 xlt
I have a '99 xlt and i got a quick question. Does anyone know if i can mount subs behind my tailgate panel? their seems to be two vent like coverings that i could put two 8-10 inch subs behind. is this possible with out fabrication?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hmmm , it might be possible if you can seal up the whole door, ,
another thing i think going against this possibly, but if it can be figured out that would be great is,, the weight of anything added to the hatch , and keeping it open , the struts probably won't be enough anymore, , but if you come up with a way to hold them up, sweet , ,

i don't think the weight would make much of a difference. not with small subs atleast. i was wondering if anyone had tried this before because i want to put subs in my truck and not lose cargo space. have you heard of anyone doing this before?

what about putting them in the side panels in the back ??

It would take a lot of sealing since the rear hatch is all open space and seams, but anything is possible...

It's all in your sig- Improvise and adapt... Go for it! :thumbsup:

corkey, from what i understand i would only be able to put one sub in like that using the oem enclosures from the limited or eddie bauer. i don't recall them making an opposite side one seeing as on the drivers side it has the jack in there. I am currently drawing up some spring plans to put a set of larger subs on either side of the truck near the wheel wells. Too cold in chicago to rip off both sides of the truck and cut into them and all that jazz.

Joe dirt- im contemplating making a fiberglass enclosure that sticks out from the door a little bit if the panel doesn't come back flush. but that may have to wait a little bit too. Unless my buddy will let me use his garage.

it seems like to me it would rattle. sounds good in theory tho.
good luck!

That's another thing I'm worried about. But if I mount them in front of my wheels wells like the stock sub is I should be good. But that won't be for a while

That's another thing I'm worried about. But if I mount them in front of my wheels wells like the stock sub is I should be good. But that won't be for a while

there is a chick with a f150 that put them on the inside of her tail gate, but that folds down, not like ours that goes up. the other thing you have to remember is, it is not wide open back there. you more then likely will have to cut some, if not a lot of bracing away to make them fit. its possible, just depends on how much work you would want to do. you would definitely have to enclose them in a fiberglass box for them to seal properly.

maybe 2 samller boxes , 1 on each side of the opening mechanism, that way it would vibrate so much, there are loose objects inside tha hatch, opening mechanism , and lock hardware,,

Have you ever taken the panel off before? Theres quite a lot of stuff in there, I wanted to mount a nice set of 6x9's in there, and couldnt honestly even find the room for those...

It would be a nice idea, but youd be better off making the passenger side rear panel enclosure like most others on here, and getting a higher end sub for it...

I was also thinking about putting a metal bracket to hold it in and then put a fiberglass ring around it with some ome foam or rubber for vibrations. I'll post a drawing of the set up I'll be experimenting with.

They do make shallow mount subs. Little more expensive but then. I could fit a larger sub in there. Circumference wise.

They do make shallow mount subs. Little more expensive but then. I could fit a larger sub in there..

Back