Subs

Elephant_Berls

Reaction score
City, State
s town Louisiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer XLT4.0 ohv :(
Sub

I recently installed a pioneer deh3500. a us acoustic 600f amp and a pioneer 10'. The amp is wired at 8ohms so the sub its getting about 350-400 watts. Since im still using the stock full range speakers (99x) I ended up high passing the speakers at 120hz. The sub im having problems with. Its a pioneer 450 watt 10' in a decent size truck box. .50-75cf or so. Stuffed with poly fill. (system use to be in a reg. cab truck) Well since my headunit has a crossover im using it. I found that when set to 125 hz (trying to match the speakers.) it clipped or distorted way too much. So i backed it down to 80hz. Still distorts so i ended up crossing my sub over at 50hz. I then turned the bass boost up to about +5 on the headunit. Any sugestions on what to do about my 50-120 hz gap?

Im surprised at how good the stock speakers sound. also for a single 10 that thing hits nicely. Except it has one spot it seems to do best at. For some reason it seems to get louder with really low freq. Itll even play some bass tracks to where you cant hear any sound but you can feal the air moving. Sorta like a swaying sensation. Im still a little worried about such a huge gap in the freq range. Why would this sub distort so badly at higher freq ranges but play lower freq so well? think im sending it too much power? heres the sub

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3035545168&category=3291

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is your amp the USAcoustics 600D? If so, make sure you have the sub wired for a 2 ohm load, NOT 8 ohm.
Set the low pass frequency for the sub at either 80 or 120.
Remove the sub, remove the polyfill and check the box. Try caulking each seam. Then put back 1/2 as much polyfill. (You could line the inside of the box w/ dymamat. This helps a ton.)
Put the sub back in, wired to 2 ohms and make sure it is sealed to the box.

Then re-adjust the levels so you don't have to use hardly any bass boost on songs w/ heavy bass.
This way you will have some in reserve to boost up weaker music.

my amp is the older model i think. Its a class a/b or something like that. It only runs stable at 4ohms and up. Bridged at 4 ohms puts out 600 watts.

I may get a bigger box. I shouldnt have to boost the piss out of this thing to get it to beat up. Only problem is that pioneer recomends a small box...

heres the box i have it in now. I took it out of the truck and now its laying flat with the sub facing up and against the back glass in the exp.

42126410.jpg

set it to 4 ohms then. dont worry about blowing the sub. just turn the gain down.
and make sure your box is sealed or it will sound like ass.

Try going into the menu (on mine its just hitting the audio button on the remote, my unit is the 7400mp by Pioneer) and keep going until you come to the subwoofer section. Turn the subwoofer off and then start adjusting the levels so that the sound coming out of the front four speakers sounds good. Then go back in and start adjusting the subwoofer levels until you get the sound balance you are looking for.

Hope this helps, sorry if I didnt explain it really well. I can give you the settings I use on stereo if that helps. It probably wont though since im using the 7400mp, a Rockford Fosegate 800W amp, 2 Rockford Fosegate 12s, and I changed my stock 6x8s to two Pionner 6x8 and two Kenwood 6x8. With all that low end power it was hard to get the front speakers to match up sound wise. But by turning the subs off and then getting the best sound quality out of the weakest link in the chain and then adding in the bass to match up without over powering the 6x8s, was the best way to balance out everything for me.

Originally posted by SiLenZe
set it to 4 ohms then. dont worry about blowing the sub. just turn the gain down.
and make sure your box is sealed or it will sound like ass.

thats the problem it wont go to 4ohms. my sub is a dvc so its either 2ohms or 8ohms. My amp isnt rated to go lower than 4ohms. I was messing around with it earlier and it seems like 50hz+4 sounds nice. Even tho its crossed over at 50hz its probaly still picking up freq above 50hz. So when i boost it at 50hz other bass seems smooth and the low stuff pounds. I guess i will stick with that for a while.

Originally posted by anothergoatherd
Try going into the menu (on mine its just hitting the audio button on the remote, my unit is the 7400mp by Pioneer) and keep going until you come to the subwoofer section. Turn the subwoofer off and then start adjusting the levels so that the sound coming out of the front four speakers sounds good. Then go back in and start adjusting the subwoofer levels until you get the sound balance you are looking for.

Hope this helps, sorry if I didnt explain it really well. I can give you the settings I use on stereo if that helps. It probably wont though since im using the 7400mp, a Rockford Fosegate 800W amp, 2 Rockford Fosegate 12s, and I changed my stock 6x8s to two Pionner 6x8 and two Kenwood 6x8. With all that low end power it was hard to get the front speakers to match up sound wise. But by turning the subs off and then getting the best sound quality out of the weakest link in the chain and then adding in the bass to match up without over powering the 6x8s, was the best way to balance out everything for me.

I have a pair of infnity 6x9's and a usx2080 amp. But they wont fit in the doors of the ex due to it being 5x7 holes. This is only a temp setup. 6 months max. (its my moms car) im just useing it for now. due to my truck (86dodge) dieng... so the stock speakers are staying. Which makes a difficult mix getting the sub to blend with stock full ranges.

Back