Sudden change in fuel consumption. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sudden change in fuel consumption.

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Explorer XLT 4.0 V6
Our v6 is all off a sudden using a lot more fuel an normally. From 14 l/100 km to 18 l/100 km (roughly 16.8 to 13 mpg).
It happened after we refueled at our normal gas station. Only difference from normal driving is that we drove about 20 miles with a 3000 pound pop up camper.
There are no error codes according to Torque. Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could be bad gas. 15 mpg would be a dream for my V6. Recent tune-up?

About 1000 miles ago it had a large service: plugs, wires, oil and a bunch of filters.

If you had it tuned up that recently, I can't imagine what would normally go bad, etc. without giving you a code. I still think it was bad gas. I won't recommend a higher octane because I don't understand how octane affects performance = kpg. Find a different brand name supplier and fill up a few tanks to see if it improves. Worst case you take it to the dealer and ask him/her what he did to screw up your truck, Lol!!!

I think we will drive it almost empty and then fill it up somewhere else than normally first.
If that doesn't work then I have to take it in to the dealer. :-/

Pulling 3k will decrease the average mpg. Even for a short time. The computer will record it and will calculate higher fuel consumption for the next x number of miles.
If you do not like it, first thing is to "Reset" the data with reset button :)
Or disconnect the battery, that will also reset the memory for the calculator. Then drive it.
I towed number of trailers with my v8 from 3000 to 6000 lbs and it would take a while to recalcualte normal mpg.
Dealer is the last instance.

Here on Iceland we use octane 95 normally, but I do know that it's not the same quality as for example Germany or Denmark.

I tried resetting the calculator but it is still the same.

How did you determine the mpg numbers ?

Are you reading them from the dashboard ?

Sounds about right for a 3000 lbs popup. Mind drops from 12l/100k to 24 in a good headwind with my 3500lbs hybrid. With no wind I run around 18. Thats with OD off at 100kmph at 2500 rpm. Perhaps your OD is stuck off?

I calculate it my self. I always reset the trip when I refuel.
The dashboard normally stands around 14 l/100 but is now at 18. And jumping a lot up and down where it used to be steady.
The number on the dash is not far from what I calculate my self.

I noticed something today when I was out driving. If I'm driving e.g. 35 mph and let go of the gas pedal the throttle is (according to Torque) still around 18-19. But when I come to complete stop it drops down to around 15-15.5
Is this normal?

Refueled today at another station that sells octane 98. Still the same.

Back