supercharged 5.0 true fire 98 explorer sport | Page 85 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

supercharged 5.0 true fire 98 explorer sport

hi everyone, my name is tim . i live in selkirk, manitoba, canada and as if this date that i am posting this, i am 36 years old.

i bought my sport in jan 05 from a local ford dealer. it had 111,000KM's on it. this is the second sport i have owned. it was sitting on the lot for about 8 months before i came along. i am the third owner (i was able to track down the person that traded it in, and they got it from a friend, who bought it new in 98).

i started to do a few things to it after i first got it, then i found this site, and all hell broke lose! i've never been satisfied with something the everyone else has, so i started to tinker with it even more.

19_Medium_.jpg

15540626_10154060266577513_2405619719549828739_o.jpg

14242313_10153799452207513_5208987697549996496_o.jpg

50213558658671_547488670_7421875_7068292_n_Medium_.jpg

15_Medium_.jpg

evil_and_min_evil.jpg

DSC01337_Medium_.jpg

DSC01341_Medium_.jpg

DSC02874_Medium_.jpg

10660988_10152352316047513_1588917598_n.jpg

m122b.jpg

981349_256309931177894_674155846_o_1_Medium_.jpg

DSC04422_Medium_.jpg

mods include

interior

installed factory tilt, cruise, overhead console, auto dimming mirror, full length console, with a message center (it didn't have these from factory).

white face with blue flames indigo gauge covers (they light up blue)
blue l.e.d. everything
white l.e.d. interior lights
Kenwood DDX392 Touch Screen Head Unit
alpine 4 channel amp (all four speakers)
boston acoustic front and rear speakers
alpine mono amp (for sub)
2 12 inch jl audio subs
rockford fosgate cap
passenger side one touch window down mod.
custom transfer case shifter
tripple a pillar gauge pod, housing autometer boost, Innovate LC-1 wideband, and oil pressure gauge
12v power inverter with 120v plug in a 2 usb plugs built into the center console

exterior

BMW E46 projectors, mounted into stock housings using clear lens
6000K HID head lights
angel eye "driving" lights, with 8000k h.i.d.'s
clear parking/corner lights
billet grill (powder coated by Turdle)
blacked out ford emblems
custom front steel 95-98 bumper, with 4 inch round tubes welded in for driving lights
shaved radio antenna
shaved roof rack
black euro tall lights
l.e.d. license plate lights
smoked out 3rd break light
lund rear tailgate spoiler/wing (formally from the truck "blackjack" owned by EF member Spas)
hand made roll pan (made from 3 1/2 rear bumpers, with 1/4 inch diamond plate on the top, and it is removable)
aluminum T/A differential griddle/cover (powder coated by Turdle)
Motegi Mr107 20' rims
goodyear wrangler hp p245/50 r20
1 1/4 wheel spacer in the rear, 3/8 in front
and most noticeable, black with blue pearl paint, and blue true fire (ground effects are black with blue pearl as well)

Suspension

2 inch lowering blocks in the rear, reverse TT in the front (2 inch as well)
Explorer Express rear sway bar
4 door leaf springs
rancho rs9000 adjustable rear shocks
03-05 sport trac spindles with drilled and slotted rotors

performance

5L swap
347 stroker
TFS twisted wedge alum heads
comp gold 1.6 rockers
comp cams CCA-35-556-8 nitro cam
heavily modified edelbrock victor jr air gap intake (which serves as a valley pan now)
eaton m122 supercharger (metco 2.70 pulley, and ASP 8 rib 7 1/4 crank pulley) with custom made mount with bell intercooler core
8 rib serpentine belt conversion using pulleys from a 7.3 powerstroke
custom made 3 1/2 inch throttle body elbow
accufab 75mm throttle body
4 inch intake pipe
PMASS MH90 90mm Universal 3000 KG/HR MAF
amsoil cone filter
F.A.S.T. 60lb injectors
edelbrock fuel rails, trick flow specialties fuel pressure regulator with summit racing fuel pressure gauge
walbro 255lph fuel pump
1/2 inch steel braided fuel pressure line from tank to rail using 8AN fittings
torque monster headers
2 1/2 duel pipes with flowpro duel in and out 2 1/2 single muffler
accel extreme 9000 ceramic 45 degree plug wires with boot protectors
4R70W w/2600 stall with J mod
tuff stuff 200a alternator
tuning made possible with sct pro-racer package, and tuned with major help from member [MENTION=102869]Dono[/MENTION] and [MENTION=81804]4pointslow[/MENTION]
flex a lite duel 12 inch electric fans
big 3 upgrade (4 gauge wires)
meziere innercooler water pump
2 froozenboost innercooler rads

Transfer case

4406 manual shift from a 97 F150
modified stock trans cross member to accept 93 mustang 5L polyurethane tans mount
double cardan rear drive shaft

because of all the "fun" i had doing the bodywork, and some other things to my truck, i have nick named it "evil dora" or if you like, just plane "evil"!
and now the thank yous

my buddy gord leiss, who let this thing sit in his garage for 3 months while i did the body work to it. he also gave me a hand with some of the prep work, and painted it for me

kevin willson for doing the true fire http://affordableairbrushing.ca/

Joe Bukoski for letting me do the 5L/4406 swap in his garage

now people from this site, weather they knew it or not, they helped

BIG THANKS to tara a.k.a. explorersport77 for pictures of her truck. wouldn't been able to build the roll pan with out them!

ExplorerSport77's X "Hotness"

jon a.k.a. Turdle for selling me some real swanky rear shackles, as well as powder coating the diff cover and sending them up to canada. as well as much needed info on v8, and 4406 swaps as well as doing the grill and showing me how its done.

don aka dono for the help with the tuning, and wideband, as well as the supercharger

andy aka ahodges for some parts, and any help i needed for all the go faster goodies

5.0 swap - w/ 4406

jad2411 for finding me a link for my hidden antenna

ryan a.k.a. MustangP51 for doing his write up on making l.e.d.'s for interior lights, and how to make projectors

P51's HID Headlight (Projector) and Fog Conversion (PICS)

and N3ELZ cardomain page for L.E.D. switch and cruise pod mods

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/296394/2002-ford-ranger-regular-cab/page-6
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/296394/2002-ford-ranger-regular-cab/page-12
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/296394/2002-ford-ranger-regular-cab/page-23

bob a.k.a. rwenzing for showing me speedhut's sit for the gauges

Gauges, Custom Gauges, Tachometers, Speedometers, Shift Light, Pod

Buzz4x4 for his write up on blacking out ford emblems

How to Make Your Own Custom Ford Emblems

the late aldive for his write up on one touch down passengers window mod

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141027&highlight=touch+passengers+window+mod

BIG COUNTRY, for his write up on how to install a auto dimming mirror

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=84968

BIG COUNTRY, 98formulaLS1, and Ryon40 for there write ups on how to install a message center

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225017&highlight=BIG+COUNTRY
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80670&highlight=message+center
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245085&highlight=Ryon40

MountaineerGreen for his 4406 swap write up and "Custom" Driveshaft for a 4406 and 4" Superlift on the Cheap " (even tho its lowered

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166726&highlight=awd+4x4+swap
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185232

Simon, aka blueka for his "pickle" thread, and help anytime i picked the phone up the phone on the 5L swap

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=271813

Jon, aka 4pointslow for any MAJOR technical advice i have needed

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219092

i wish i could find who did the write up on the overhead console install, but here is the link

http://www.explorer4x4.com/overhead.htm

Russ aka NICE59FORDF100 for his help on the wiring, and what to watch out for electronically.

hopefully one day, i will be able to help people on here just as much as the people that i have mentioned above!

picture.php

plus you know you have done something right when.....

your truck (as well as corkey) wins truck of the month

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=296023

is the feature truck on the fun hump day radio show (starts roughly around the 30 min mark)

http://explorerforum.podbean.com/2011/03/23/19-vroom-zoomboom/

and you drive 26 hours ONE WAY to the carlisle all ford nationals in june 2010 and 2011, and grab second place in the s.u.v. all category!

scan00012.jpg

then in 2014 you go back to the same show you have been to 5 years in a row (nothing by most, but its one hell of a long drive) and take first!

scan00014.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Explorer

How is the tuning going, have any time to keep it going?

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

sent a datalog off late thursday. still havent heard back from them. getting aintsy

GREAT NEWS TIM!!! Been following. Cant wait to see a vid once you get the tunes down.

GREAT NEWS TIM!!! Been following. Cant wait to see a vid once you get the tunes down.

well i kinda do have a video i did on the weekend that i posted on facebook. with the 20's on and in 2wd it will lay rubber down all threw first gear till it shifts into second. i have text james asking for him to look at the tune because i want to get it done so i can make the strip in july sometime.

Awesome-can you post the video or the link? I clicked page 1 by accident, WoW I forgot all the work you did when you got Evil all decked out in black and grey!!

not sure if this link will work or not

https://www.facebook.com/vroomzoomboom/videos/o.254521625275/10152892105287513/?type=2&theater

trust me, i havent forgotten how much work i have put into this thing...or money. i was talking to my buddy that painted it for me last week. i was asking him if i could redo it this winter. i always look it over, and there is some spots that has broke out on it, and there are a few chips in it (and i am over picky with this thing most times). if the guy that did the flames on it moves back here i am going to see if i can repaint the truck, and may do some other changes to it as well. but for right now this is just a thought.
i am back to getting it dyno tuned as well. the local speed shop that i always go to for parts can do it. in their old shop they had a dyno and they changed locations and didnt have it there. i had thought they sold it, but they just have it at a different location. i had been giving dono a had with his truck for the last little bit, but now that we have his running, the focus is back onto evil. 4pointslow has been giving me a had with some stuff and i do have a few things that i want to sort out before they do their tuning on it. i am driving it right now. its just good enough to drive, so i also want to put some miles on it as well before it hits the rollers.

dyno has been booked. i am hoping that it will go in next week. nervous and excited all at the same time. i am hoping it will hit around the 300 rwhp, and around 350 ft lbs for torque, but who knows. i know some of you guys are thinking over 400, but i dont think it will be that high. there is also i new twist that i am trying to sort out and 4pointslow has been helping me with. he noticed that my tps was not staying at wot on a couple of datalogs. after probing everything trying to find the problem i believe what was happening was the throttle cable was moving around in the bracket (and that was a chance find). now the next one is easy...sorta. a few pages back i posted i went to a larger crank pulley so i can bring boost up. my fear on that was sure it will spin the supercharger faster, but it will also spin everything else faster as well. i have now found my first consequence to that. we also saw the truck not charging to the correct voltage (13.4v at idle). my old stereo had a voltage display, and i noticed that from the first day the 347 went in, but didnt think anything of it. well, now what is happening is the alt is spinning so much faster it is overheating itself (or thats the problem i believe it is). i put 3 different alts on, and the one i have in now will start off charging at 14.4v, then after driving will drop to 13.4v. but at wot, will drop to 12v at one point. i found a little larger pulley from a local shop and tried it. it did work to a certain point, but not good enough

11714331_10152948345302513_1846603950_n.jpg

11653338_10152948345332513_1107295203_n.jpg

(if you look in the background i have a rebuild from rebuilderinabox.com and with a powder coated housing from turdle but i dont want to put it on in case i fry it)
so now i have to try and find a bigger pulley. the good news is the alt shop told me most gm and ford alt pulleys will fit each other but i may have to put a 8 rib on if i want a larger diameter. thats no big deal but it looks funny with a 8 rib pulley and a 6 rib belt on the supercharger already. i know i can to to asp or pulleyboys for a pulley, but i also dont want to spend 150-200 for just a alt pulley.

also, happy canada day to all canadian members!

Best wishes for the testing, I hope you hit 350 at least.

The alternator issue may be fixed with the pulley change, hopefully that'll do it.

I don't know what sizes are out there, but I noticed on eBay long ago that a Marauder had a clutched pulley. I thought it was trick, and presumably it's OEM, I'd guess it's because the DOHC was a 7500+rpm engine. You might try that if there isn't a large enough normal pulley to use.

BTW, I also have an odd piece, an 8-rib AC compressor. I found out years back that the Super Duty used 8-rib pulleys, and it was no extra cost when I bought a cheap compressor unit from eBay. So I said let me have it, figuring I might need to go to an 8-rib belt some day. That's a good place to get the 8-rib alternator pulley too, but I don't know what diameter it is.

Tim, here's another choice, if you have enough blower pulley choice still. Since you have the custom balancer, made to take any 94/95 crank pulley, maybe the non Cobra crank pulley will bring the rpm's down enough. It supposed to be about a 6.5" size, and you have a 7" piece right? You might be able to use that one, which worked for stock alternators.

really i would love to go 8 rib but the big hurdle is the power steering pulley. i did call asp last year and he even scratched his head with that one. theres that, and one idler at the very bottom passengers side that is ribbed. i also forgot to mention i did put the stock sized cobra crank pulley (6 1/4 vs 7 1/4 asp pulley) on last night just to confirm the alt problem and also was curious to see what kind of boost it would make. with the 7 1/4 it makes about 8lbs off boost. the 6 1/4.........4lbs...........

Did you datalog with the larger pulley? did the 12v at wot issue go away?

Oh boy, Whens the dyno date?

really i would love to go 8 rib but the big hurdle is the power steering pulley. i did call asp last year and he even scratched his head with that one. theres that, and one idler at the very bottom passengers side that is ribbed. i also forgot to mention i did put the stock sized cobra crank pulley (6 1/4 vs 7 1/4 asp pulley) on last night just to confirm the alt problem and also was curious to see what kind of boost it would make. with the 7 1/4 it makes about 8lbs off boost. the 6 1/4.........4lbs...........

That 8-rib change is hard for us, I've pondered that before. I did discover that that the GT40 302 from Australia has slightly different brackets etc, including a press on PS pulley. I wonder if that PS pump is unique there, or maybe ours has something on the shaft which lets it take the bolt on pulley. I have hunted for those Australian brackets in case I could get them feasibly to see them in hand. It isn't easy, the best I saw was a $75 set and they didn't ship here. Here's a picture of their GT40 engine;

AUS302GT40.jpg

i found a bigger pulley. i was going to buy the one from the guy i got the crank pulley from at first, but went back to the shop i got the other one from. they had a pulley off i believe a 7.3 f250. its a 8 rib, but its also one less pulley i will need if i ever get the cash together to do a 8 rib conversion. what ticks me off even more is i now cant use the one i got jon to powder coat for me :(

this is the good news, the bad news is when i checked it last, its still doing the same thing. i have yet to put my new alt on because i was afraid i was going to burn it out. now i know its back at the same or very close to the same speed i will have to try it.

i also forgot to post this as well. on fathers day, my son and i were going to my folks place which is around a hour away from me. it was a nice day so we took evil. i noticed (as well as he did) it was running great. no surging idle, not acting up or anything.....until the ride home when she tossed out a cel.

when you look at the first pic, you can see it BENT the syncro at the top. what you cant see because i dumped it out was the magnet that was smash to bits, and wrapped around the part that spins, and the body of the syncro. the second one is what was left of the sensor. when i put a new one (well, not new i had a spare kicking around) she went back to her old self with the surging idle and what not :scratch:
fourpointslow, i think you explained it to me what was happening with that, but i cant remember. i am very paranoid because it might go in by the end of next week i hope for tuning and i want to make sure i have everything all good with this thing.
this is when it shows that i am a bodyman and not a mechanic lol.

Cam syncronizer

That is a typical failure of the cam sensor. happens all the time. The magnet falls off and trashed everything including bending the blade of the synchronizer.

You have stated to me a few times that the engine ran better with the cam sensor broken. I have a new idea for you, or experiment I would say.
Maybe time the cam sensor 180 from where it is now and see if it runs better at idle. If it runs worse then put it back the way it is now. Just a thought.

The other thought was that with the cam sensor being bad the engine is in FMEM (failure mode effects management) or what other manufactures call limp mode. Runs off a different strategy so maybe it seems better since the truck was never finished being tuned.

The symptom you told me about is called surging Idle which has many possible causes including but not limited to the A/F mixture being off, and IAC/TPS problems.

Freakin syncros and stupid tools lol

I have a new idea for you, or experiment I would say.
Maybe time the cam sensor 180 from where it is now and see if it runs better at idle. If it runs worse then put it back the way it is now. Just a thought.

i believe i did try that once, and it ran worse and backfired. sorry for bringing it up again. my mind is becoming a foggy haze from having to learn all this new stuff in a short time lol

forums

That's why it is so helpful to post on the forum, you have a record of what you did, and the results etc. I find myself going back to older posts to remind myself of things done in the past.

Back