• Register Today It's free!

Supercharging a 4.0 V6

STSJayDub

Reaction score
City, State
South Side Houston Texas but Reppin BMT
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT
Alright everyone long time no post. My computer had a virus, and I finally got around to getting it fixed. Well I dropped my truck off 2 tha shop today. Im completly replacing the engine with the same 4.0 V6, straight from the factory with 0 miles on it. I wanted a V8, but since the engine and installation where paid for as a present (in utha words, totally free to me) Im not gonna complain. Is there anyway to super charge or turbo charge the engine? What changes will I have to make to it? I searched, and all i was able to find was either V8s or older model V6s. I got a 99. Whats a good solution for me? I know that I cant just drop the supercharger in. I plan on putting the whole V6 stage 1 and 2 kits from EE n there. Will theese mods work good? Besides them, what uther mods will I need.

I remember hearing something about putting a 3.8 thunderbird supercharger in there before the computer went down. Did this ever end up working?

Thanks for all the help.....Jay

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Gotta know which 4.0 it is.

Oh, and the search will produce GOBS of information on this.

The EE kit will amaze you, not cheap but very nice

Does anyone know when tha EE supercharger for thas V6 will b out?

Right now, been so for two mos at least

oooo cool....the page still says "coming soon". i forgot they update their page once every never....does anyone know if theyve started making the air dams for 99 explorers again? Last I heard they had stopped making em for some reason.

Also, is there a way to tell if i have a OHV or a SOHC with out having my expo here? Like just by looking at tha VIN?

According to EE they have sold and shipped 25 S.Cs, i have driven a ranger with the EE S.C, it was awsome, when J vanik was around anything was possible.
I have tried for a week to get some info from EE on the ProM maf, will not return calls.
I ordered mine from Pro M direct today, same price, no hassles, lots of answeres to my questions and they will custom bench flow it to my mods.
I think EE has become a drop shipper, they stock nothing but will get it via another manufacturer.
granted they have some nice stuff, some of which you can only get from them, but the customer service is not what it used to be

STSJayDub said:
oooo cool....the page still says "coming soon". i forgot they update their page once every never....does anyone know if theyve started making the air dams for 99 explorers again? Last I heard they had stopped making em for some reason.

Also, is there a way to tell if i have a OHV or a SOHC with out having my expo here? Like just by looking at tha VIN?

they only make a blower for the SOHC right?

Do you know how much horsepower I can be expecting from the supercharger? Should I get the full stage 1 & 2 V6 from EE (JET Chip, K & N Air Filter, MAC Intake, & Mass Throttle Body) before the supercharger? Are their any other mechanical changes I should make? As u kan probably tell, when it komes to the engine Im not the most knowledgable person...

I kalled EE about their superchargers yesterday...no one answered...I guess Im not the only one. I remember last year, I kould email them in the morning and have a reply by that afternoon...What has happened to their service? Also, u said their a drop shipper....Is the supercharger something they make, or kould I order it from somewhere else (and save a little kash)? Thanks for all your help man.

I'm not sure how much the EE supercharger is, but I've seen that Apten was suppose to have one out in March. They don't have anything on it on their site except for this (supercharger page was not up):

December 2003 - Supercharged 4.0L Explorer
Our first supercharged 4.0L SOHC explorer is now on the road and running. We increased factory power from 151RWHP to 249RWHP with 6psi of boost on our base kit. This vehicle made 249RWHP with no other modificaitons thru an automatic transmission with stock exhaust. We are planning to release this kit to the public in March of 2004. Kit price is estimated in the $3500 range and it will include a chip, injectors, and everything necessary to put this kit on the road. The kit will be compatible with 1997-up 4.0L SOHC explorers and 2001-up 4.0L SOHC rangers. Average install time is less than 3 hours. We will also soon be carrying a supercharger kit for 3.0L Rangers.

As far as I know, that would be a good little bit of ponies. Damn I hate being poor.

Does anyone know if they ever ended up releasing this kit?? If I could increase it to 249 rwhp with no uther mods, then if i got exhaust, air intake, chip, throttle body, and MASS could i have close to 300 rwhp?

you would have to talk to alex about that
he had the blower and other mods in a sport so if you could do a search for his stats that would answer the question

I've seen SC kits on Ebay for the 4.0L OHV. You get the kit from them and buy a SC from someone selling one on ebay (another seller). I think it uses the SC from a Nissan like the Fronteir or Xterra. The kit was $895 last time I saw it, the you add the cost of the blower and put it in yourself. Sounds good and they CLAIM you can do the whole thing for under $1500!

It depends on what motor you have. If you have the OHV you'll be lucky to make 215 to the rear wheels with a charger. That kit comes with a chip, and probably the MAF, and TB. With the exhuast and a few bolt ons, and a SOHC you'll probably put down 275 to the back.

As for the VIN I think the OHV was engine code X. I'm sure someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

i think my kode is E...does that mean I have the SOHC?

Yeah, Vin X is OHV and Vin E is SOHC

Nothing beats cubic inches...save the time/money/headache and drop in a V8. SCed V6 is like putting lipstick on a corpse :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Kool....maybe I kan push out 275 hp. I wanted a V8....but tha V6 is free.....and Im not gone turn down a free engine, you feel me?

Back
Top Bottom