Suspension replaced and can still feel small bumps-what else needs replaced? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Suspension replaced and can still feel small bumps-what else needs replaced?

mdisalvo

Reaction score
City, State
SoCal
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Eddie Bauer Explorer
I just had quite a bit of work done on my 04 explorer...new struts, front upper and lower control arms with ball joints, sway bar bushings, tires, and brakes. The struts are working well for larger bumps but I can still feel quite a bit of smaller things like cracks in the road, lane markers, etc. It's almost like you can feel them through the steering wheel and I'm not sure what I should be looking at as far as other items to replace. My mechanic said the sway bar end links were good along with the tie rods so I'm assuming those aren't the issue. Anyone have any opinions? I know it's an older car and it's not going to be perfect but it seems like it could be a bit smoother.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are your tires over inflated? Keep them at 35 PSI max.
My TPMS failed, so I keep mine at 30 PSI all around, it helps for a smoother ride.

It also depends on which coilover struts you had installed. Some brands are softer than others.....

They were the monroe quick struts. I will check the tire pressure tonight.

Depending on the condition of the road, what you are "feeling" is normal.
A car with a front "strut" suspension is going to transfer more of the road harshness directly into the body compared to a car with double "A" arm suspension. The trade off is better handling and
responsiveness. The "A" arm car will have more isolation between the driver and road too, less "NVH".

Rides stiff like a truck and can feel every bump? Yup sounds like an Explorer to me. That's how mine has been driving since 63K to 95K mi in 4 years.

The only Ford that we've ever had that rode nice was our 1st Gen Explorer. 2nd Gen Mountaineer and 3rd Explorer ride rough. Only ride a little smooth when towing. And new Fords are far worse...

I used to have a Mercury Grand Marquis ... now that was smooth!

I just had quite a bit of work done on my 04 explorer...new struts, front upper and lower control arms with ball joints, sway bar bushings, tires, and brakes. The struts are working well for larger bumps but I can still feel quite a bit of smaller things like cracks in the road, lane markers, etc. It's almost like you can feel them through the steering wheel and I'm not sure what I should be looking at as far as other items to replace. My mechanic said the sway bar end links were good along with the tie rods so I'm assuming those aren't the issue. Anyone have any opinions? I know it's an older car and it's not going to be perfect but it seems like it could be a bit smoother.
Sounds like a truck is just not for you. Trucks generally ride a bit stiffer and harsher than passenger cars.

If you think those little cracks in the road are annoying, you’d hate driving my X with mud terrains,,,, you feel every lug on the tire when you start moving, and they sing to you at highway speeds.

I used to have a Mercury Grand Marquis ... now that was smooth!

My parents had a '94 Grand Marquis which had that smooth ride. The other one we had that I also drove a lot was our '83 Buick Electra built on a full frame that thing was soooooooooo smooth it didn't matter what the kind of road it was. Big ass boat with a Olds 307, touch control temp the works. Thing was fully loaded and we only paid 2500 bucks for it 9 years after it was sold from the dealer.

As far as the OP Explorer goes yeah it depends on who made the struts as they said some ride better then others. I know when I go to do mine in 30-40k I am hoping Bilsteins makes a set as I've used those on a couple trucks/suvs & they've helped the ride tremendously compared to stock or monroes but that is just my opinion.

The KYB's I put on about 2 years ago were a huge upgrade from stock, as far as keeping my buggy rock stable and tires on the ground, but they aren't considered a "soft" ride by any means. I feel most of the major defects in the road, but I'm one of those that kind of likes that feedback from the truck. I think it just really depends on what you are looking to accomplish.

The Monroe OE Spectrum struts for this truck are monotube--which gives a firmer ride but more control. See https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mon-37122/overview/year/2002/make/ford/model/explorer. Monotubes are generally considered a higher quality/higher expense/ and higher performance part than twintube design. Monroe also makes a Reflex strut (also monotube) and a lower-end strut (forget the name), which is a twin tube.

Unfortunately, Monroe does not bother to say (amidst all the marketing speak) whether the Quickstruts are monotube or twintube. Regretable, stupid omission, IMHO.

For reasons of economy and availability, I recently installed one OE Spectrum and one Quickstrut on my front end. It feels fabulous to me, but 'firm.' I live in an area with tons of potholes and rough roads. I can dive into those sections without worrying about excessive bounce or loss of control. Just muted, dampened jolts to the wheels. Like a new truck.

So, if the Quickstruts are monotube, what you are describing is completely normal. Even if they are twintube, it might be how they are tuned for this truck. If you had all four struts installed together, Monroe has a "feel the difference" guarantee for 90 days or 1,000 miles, under which you can return the struts and they'll even reimburse up to $100 per axle for labor, "satisfaction guaranteed."

Back