swapping out awd for 4wd transfer case. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

swapping out awd for 4wd transfer case.

silvereagle

Reaction score
City, State
va
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 mountaineer
Hello, I have a 98 mountaineer 5.0 awd. I am going to be swapping to the bw 4405 transfer case and I know I will have to run the 4wd hi and low switch into the cab and attach the indicator lamps on the dash cluster if I feel like it. I am curious if there is any other wiring I am going to have to do? The case has a speedo sensor hole it says...but since I already have a working speedometer I can just plug the hole and ignore it I assume.

Thanks any tips are appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello, I have a 98 mountaineer 5.0 awd. I am going to be swapping to the bw 4405 transfer case and I know I will have to run the 4wd hi and low switch into the cab and attach the indicator lamps on the dash cluster if I feel like it. I am curious if there is any other wiring I am going to have to do? The case has a speedo sensor hole it says...but since I already have a working speedometer I can just plug the hole and ignore it I assume.

Thanks any tips are appreciated!

4405 will not work.

You need a 4406 transfer case

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166726&highlight=awd+4406+swap

Awesome thanks! Will look into getting one. 4405 is for the V6 I guess.

there is a thread showing how to do all this and not have to do a whole lot of wireing. some is involved. your truck is already wired for most of the stuff. im about to do the same to my truck. let me see if i can find the thread.

Back