Sway Bar Link Kit on a 96 For Exploerer XLT 5.0 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sway Bar Link Kit on a 96 For Exploerer XLT 5.0

Reaction score
City, State
Nacogdoches, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT 5.0L V8
can someone give me step by step instructions on how to replace my old rusty Sway bark link kits in the front of my exploerer 5.0 xlt im wondering also is it easier to jack up or to keep on the ground, step by step instructions would be great, thanks guys your all alot of help

The only trick I can think of is that they have to be loose on one side to build the other-
Having weight on the suspension will help for the install itself, but make the work space very tight. I think there is a front suspension rebuild in the " list of how to threads"
Also-Mountaineergreen has instructions for building longer ones out of tubing and all thread,
this works very well, and, is a lower cost alternative. Just build yours to the length you need. If you are building them yourself, you can make the all thread about 1" longer than you actually need, and, this will really help with the ease of building them side to side.

order of parts from bottom to top--

nut-lock washer-bushing washer cupped up-bushing with notch facing up -control arm-bushing with notch facing down-bushing washer cupped down- metal tube cut to your length-bushing washer cupped up-bushing with notch up-sway bar-bushing with notch down-bushing washer cupped down-lock washer - nut all built on a length of all thread.

Back