Sylvania Silverstars and others. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sylvania Silverstars and others.

So i've been doing a little research into a headlight upgrade. I have searched the internets as well as this forum and have some questions.
You know me, always with the questions.:D
I am looking into the Sylvania Silverstars but there are seveeral different types:
High Performance Halogen
Cool Blue
ExtraVision
Ultra (For Ultra Night Vision):eek:
Xenarc
Part #:
Headlamp - 9007
Fog-lights - H1

Which of the different types do you guys prefer? Are they really worth the extra money when compared to the standard $10 job that Sylvania offers?

One last thing,
while at AutoZone, I was parusing their headlight offerings when I stumbled upon other choices. They were not in the headlight bulb section but in the off road fog lap upgrade area. There were these, I forget the brand name, off road use only bulbs that would fit my fog lights. Que es el dealio with those?

Many thanks in advance,
302X

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The Silver Star Ultras will have the best light output. They will be a lot brighter then the standard halogens.

I have silver stars for when I have to take my HIDs out...but I used to run them 100% before I got the HIDs...I really didn't see too much of a difference between the Silverstars and my stock halogens. Save your money and get HIDs :thumbsup:

the silverstar ultras are much better than the stock bulbs. you will see a big difference

The silverstar ultras were MUCH brighter when used w/ a clear headlight lense like on my 04 xterra. I'd say if you were going to change your lights over to the clear lenses they'd be very noticable as a difference otherwise it's just a tad whiter and maybe a little brighter. Don't mess w/ the cool blue, you can't see a damn thing w/ them.

I have silver stars for when I have to take my HIDs out...but I used to run them 100% before I got the HIDs...I really didn't see too much of a difference between the Silverstars and my stock halogens. Save your money and get HIDs :thumbsup:

X2 gets HIDS difference is not much and light output is a lot better.

Broke down and bought some H1-ST for my fog lights. Any advice on how to clean the lenses of the fog lights. I already plan to use some Plastx on them. Any other suggestions?

I put Silverstars in last year in anticipation of an all-night drive to Colorado and knowing how sucky the stock halogens were. Made a BIG BIG difference with the stock housings.

As for regular halogens, I would say Silverstars are best...but honestly I don't think they are much better than the next level down Sylvania's.

Damn, the lenses of the fog lights are in pretty rough shape. I have used the plastx several times and it still is not up to par. Any suggestions?

i would just replace them with an aftermarket unit.. if ever you do get it back into shape with plastx it'll just dull back again..

imo, please stick with halogen bulbs since you still have halogen type reflectors for your lights.. silverstars are the best that I’ve owned so far not unless you want to mess around with a catz zeta system or better yet do a retrofit and go with an oem hid setup..
I’ve recently encountered a H2 with a 6K up Kelvin HID kit on a straight narrow road and it was blinding all oncoming traffic.. the other drivers retaliated with high beams and their horns but i just slowed down and turned on all of my lights and aimed a handheld spotlight right at him.. the guy slowed down to a crawl and started yelling something.. i could understand what he was saying but i'm glad that he now knows how it feels to be blinded by unnecessary lights.. :wavey:

I have the same issue with X. I have 6000k in both the headlamps and fogs. The fogs produce such a glare that I sometimes get people hi-beaming me. I am going to change the fogs back to silverstars over the weekend. My only concern is the color between the hids and halogens.

Back