Sync Features Not Available in Motion?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sync Features Not Available in Motion??

adagosto

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explored Limited 4x4
Hello,

As you all know, the standard setup for the navigation and phone are set to be not available when the vehicle is in motion. You can't enter an address while driving down the road so you can navigate to it.

I understand the implied safety implications to this logic, however, when someone is seated in the front passenger seat, it seems to have missed the ability to override that ability to press the screen buttons while driving.

Does anyone know of a setting somewhere to disable the safety logic or a way to enable features when someone is seated in the front passenger seat? That's the one that makes the most sense to me.

I was driving down a freeway and was texted the address to meet some people and my wife who was seated in the front passenger seat was not able to enter the address. So she used her phone instead. Kinda defeats the purpose. Is there a work around?

Thx!

This has been brought up several times. You can not input an address while driving but you can use voice prompts. That is what I do. As for allowing someone in the passenger seat to input an address, how can the vehicle verify that there is actually someone sitting there? If the current restriction was modified, anything with a certain weight could be interpreted as a 'passenger' allowing the driver to input addresses etc.

Peter

Basically you've got it.

If the system is smart enough when to engage the airbag, it should be smart enough to allow user inputs if the airbag is engaged.

I totally get the safety feature and how Ford does not want to be party to people fiddling with the computer while driving and getting into a wreck. I'm good with that. My problem is that they are trying to use software code to cover too much ground. You can't write code to solve the world's problems. But now I'm complaining!!

Thanks for the tip. I'll have to try the voice thing. Not sure how, but I'll give it a go.

Back