Tail light and brake light don't work. ** FIXED ** | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tail light and brake light don't work. ** FIXED **

Haroldee

Reaction score
City, State
Bridgeton, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 94 Limited
:usa: My tail lights and brake lights don't work my blinker lights do this is a 94 Explorer can anyone help please

Harold

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I did new bulbs and I check the fuses hope they were the right fuses. Any other suggestions?

ya try to find out where the power stops coming through the wires, if its right in the harness, the bulb, or elsewhere in the system.

Do the front marker lamps light? If so, I beleive that the ground for the brake and rear lights is common to both circuits (going by memory here). Check for voltage by pulling the bulb out and probing with a test light. If there's voltage there, reinstall the bulb try back pinning the black wire of the socket and see if that lamp lights.

Move the Directional Stalk Up and down and see if the Brake lights begin to work again.
The brake lights run through the Directional circuit and The Directional Stalk gets lazy and will 'rest' between the proper electrical connections.
Step on teh brake then move te stalk up and see if the Brake lights begin to work

UPDATE - RESOLVED:

Traced the problem electrically to the brake pedal switch. Installed new switch - didn't work. After many hours of making sure it was installed correctly and doing more wiring checks, decided it may be a problem with the "fit" of the new switch since it tested OK on the meter. The pedal was not depressing the switch enough to reliably trigger on/off.

I didn't know if it was the switch itself or perhaps the push rod from the master cyclinder was worn. I did something I don't normally do - I bought the genuine Ford swtich and installed it. Work perfect now. Done deal.

Sorry I got back to you with a PM too late. ( this morning)
I was away from a computer for the last 6 days.
My comments in teh PM may have helped, maybe not. I hope the Dealer price for the Switch didn't hurt too much.
I just read that you resolved the issue.... Glad you are back in business.

Back