"I'm counting to 3, then I'm getting your dad."
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Woodstock, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Ford Explorer 4.6l
So nothing but questions today.

Got my engine back in my 94, got it all filled up with coolant fluid power stirring fluid all good to go.

I manually primed the oil pump with the engine out, then I turn the engine over quite a few times without any fuel to the engine.

Engine started right up ran just fine and then a tapping noise started. Oil pressure shows good but the check oil light is on. There's 5 quarts in a pan and a pan seems a little full on the dip stick.

The tapping almost sounds like the passenger valve cover, but then I went underneath the vehicle and it sounds like it's coming from underneath stronger. It actually sounds like it's coming from between the engine and trans. It's a manual transmission.

The oil pump I put in was a high flow Melling oil pump.

It's weird that it says check oil but shows good oil pressure.

Edit, tapping does not increase with throttle.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does the tapping go away when warm? Does it go away when you put it in gear? Does it go away with the clutch in/out?

Check oil just means it's low or the sensor is unplugged/bad. You have pressure because you have oil but the oil level sensor says it's not enough. The point is to show the light before you run out of oil, as a way to say "shut the engine off before you cause damage".

I'm trying to bleed the clutch to no avail, so I've yet to see what happens with it in gear.

The noise went away and the oil light went off. Hopefully it wasn't a lack of oil pressure. Nothing I can do about it now. Engine runs and sounds good.

So, the oil light keeps coming on. Since putting it all together, it's gone a mile or two. Couldn't tell really but the dipstick looked almost overfilled. Wiped and dunked it a couple more times and it looked low. Went back to my invoice where I purchased the oil and filter. I bought 6 qts. of oil and had two left in the box. Dumped one more quart in the engine and the light went off.

What do you know [MENTION=241671]natenkiki2004[/MENTION], the light does what it's supposed to.

Love it when it's a simple thing.

Glad that's all it was.

I've found that the oil light is a very early warning. Like if I'm a pinch low, not even enough to worry about and I park sideways on a slope so the passenger side is downhill, that's enough to trigger the light. It might even come on at half a quart low.

Back