Tbars Project "X" begins | Page 54 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tbars Project "X" begins

First and foremost my ranger is my favorite truck...I will not let any of you fools try to talk me into changing my new project into some rock beast, lmao...this rig is just to go camping and fishing in and thats it...it took all the money i had to buy and the seller was great and is a new member here....thanks rick, the seller that is...

I have never as much sat in an explorer and today was the first time i opened a door on one...

It needs alot of tlc and a new 4.0 motor as the current one is seized...It needs a bit of paint work as the clear coat is shot and the front fenders are a different color....

Notes
1) Kbabiak, you need to make some pre-made shipping tags with my name on them as I will be needed a bunch of little parts...
2) Admin Rick, I sent my new membership dues in at 8am this morning as i was hoping to be a new X owner...
3)All elite members, I am going to need alot of help and parts for my new to me, 91 XLT

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

..Thanks I think...:D

...After seeing what that looked like when I pulled it out, I don't think I would have done half the stuff in my X if I knew how fragile that thing looked..:eek:

That thing is trashed. Good thing you stopped when you did. Makes me wonder what flex plate I have in my Explorer with the 700R4 trans (I say trans because typing "tranny" makes me laugh) swap.

..When we were putting the truck back together I noticed the motor mounts flexing quite a bit and I would guess they are broke too and if not flex way to much..

..Sadly, I checked with Brian1 here and he don't make them, AutoFab wants just under $400 for a pair :eek:, and although Ruffstuff used to make them and they speak of them on their site, I am waiting to hear back from them..

..Do you know someone who has or makes a set for reasonable amount?

I noticed my motor mounts were flexing a bunch recently and decided to replace them. No surprise as the are the original mounts. I searched all over for motor mounts with no luck. I ended up getting some OEM on Rock Auto because I am not paying $400 bucks for Autofabs. I remember Kirby went through this a while ago and ended up running a bolt through OEM mounts.
I asked Brian1 the same question..

Found Kirby's version of motor mounts that he says held up great...Post # 240

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201136&page=12

..Thanks for posting that..:biggthump

..I came back here to say I couldn't find any info from sear h function and you had already updated your post..

No problem.
I am planning on doing the same thing when I change out my mounts after the BB run.

Sent from my XT907 using Forum Runner

The ruffstuff ones are just motor plates with bushings, they aren't really a stock replacement, I used those. Replace the motor mounts with stockers and the trans mount with a stocker and you should be fine.

The other thing you could do to limit motor movement is run a limit strap from the motor to the frame. This would reduce the flex a lot, this is pretty common for the desert guys to do.

..Not a fan of stock replacement if I can help it..:D

.My current tranny mount..

attachment.php

..and if I can find some better motor mounts I will..anything I can do to help keep the a4ld together and I'm tired of tearing mounts.:(

Within a reasonable price of course otherwise I'm rocking the stockers with a new bolt..:confused:

Did you post a pic of the trans mount installed? Could you measure the distance from top to bottom, including mounts (bolt face to bolt face)? I want to see if I can use Brian1's mount as a direct replacement for my Synergy poly trans mount.

...It's going to be a month or two before I can find time to put these bad boys in..:hammer:

Tbars twisted my arm so those are the first ever Brian1 Built motor mount prototypes. Built in a fixture to stock motor mount specs, just much beefier!

You should just go ahead and build a few more sets, and PM me a price shipped to 92131.:D

Or, if Ted doesn't have them installed by Truckhaven, make him give me those to test for you..;)

..I won't have them in by TH but I ain't partin' with em either..:p:

You should just go ahead and build a few more sets, and PM me a price shipped to 92131.:D

I plan to make more after these first ones get tested for fit and function. Price will be $100 less than autofabs at about $155/pair shipped

..I won't have them in by TH but I ain't partin' with em either..:p:

Unacceptable. It should take you no more than two hours to R&R the mounts. ;)

I plan to make more after these first ones get tested for fit and function. Price will be $100 less than autofabs at about $155/pair shipped

Excellent price point. The only reason I have not purchased a set of AF's is the price. I just could not justify it when I could go through about ten sets of OEM mounts with bolts through the rivet holes for the same money. Yours look a little easier to replace because the mounting plate on the engine does not have to be removed. Will they change the height of the engine?

Back