• Register Today It's free!

Temperature gauge pegged on hot.

fdelponte

Reaction score
City, State
Bridgeport, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Eddie Bauer
Hello. I love the site and I appreciate all the information. I have a 1995 Ford Explorer, Eddie Bauer with 4.0L engine. Overall, runs great, but I have one problem that I haven't been able to fix... The temperature gauge is pegged past the "H". Occasionally, it will drift back into mid range. I Replaced the temperature sending unit.... No change. Engine does not run hot and heat works fine. I'm assuming that there is a short somewhere. Any suggestions on where I should start looking? Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There's a sensor and a sending unit for the gauge - though both will affect the gauge.

The sending unit that you replaced......did it have one wire or two?

one wire... The unit I replaced looks like a small brass spark plug...

That's the sending unit.

The sensor looks similar and is a two wire plug directly under the throttle body. It's maybe 6" or so to the drivers side of the single wire sending unit.

Looks just like this one, but the color of the plastic may be different.
getimage.php

Thanks! I will give replacing that sensor a try.

Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread into the stock 95-01 section. Does your gauge stay in the same position with the sending unit unplugged? If so, then there might be a problem with the gauge or the wiring could be grounded somewhere.

Yes... it stays in the same position even if I unplug the sending unit.... Once in a while I will get some movement on the gauge...

Back