Terrible noise

chad551

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
St.Louis, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Sport Trac
Ok so I have loud squelling noise that is driving me nuts. However it goes away instantly when I put it in 4x4 drive??? This noise is much louder then when my wheel bearing's went out. I just had the oil changed today and had them check the t-case and tranny and all way fine.

Anyone have this issue before?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've had that humming from the front that recently turned into a complete noise pollution problem. Usually after a right turn I would hear a huge metal scraping sound. ...but not aways. It was terrible and could be heard by the neighbors as I went out of the neighborhood. Turns out BOTH my front wheel bearings were shot on my 2005 with 65k on it. I'm trying to find out if this is a commom problem.

Also check your ujoints, whenthey start to go bad they will sqeak/squel.

Also check your ujoints, whenthey start to go bad they will sqeak/squel.

When my u joints went out it sounded more like I had chains banging around under my truck but you can easily check it out by moving the drive shaft around and seeing if it makes noises.

I didn't really have a reason to suspect my u-joints b/c it was an intermittent noise. A huge noise when it happened but never-the-less it was not there most of the time. I drove it last night and this morning and - no noise! Still has a slight 'road noise' in it but that may be the tires. The main noise that sounded like chains wrapped around the axle is gone! Another blessing.

I dont even remember what the noise was anymore since it was 2 years ago. You guys dug up an old thread.

I've had that humming from the front that recently turned into a complete noise pollution problem. Usually after a right turn I would hear a huge metal scraping sound. ...but not always. It was terrible and could be heard by the neighbors as I went out of the neighborhood. Turns out BOTH my front wheel bearings were shot on my 2005 with 65k on it. I'm trying to find out if this is a common problem.

You don't say if you have bigger tires/offset wheels/wheel spacers or not. All of those place added stress on the front wheel bearings. Even on stock vehicles the front bearings seem to give problems starting at about your mileage.

You don't say if you have bigger tires/offset wheels/wheel spacers or not. All of those place added stress on the front wheel bearings. Even on stock vehicles the front bearings seem to give problems starting at about your mileage.

Stock. I've been into Jeeps for many, many years and went the route of oversize tires, lifts, etc. This one is my 'comfort' vehicle. I love the way it looks, drives, etc. Just a great vehicle. Anyway, I noticed you said that front bearings start giving problems at my mileage....is that typical of Sport Tracs? Not common for Jeeps.

there is no problem anymore and i don t remember from 2 years ago. however it was fixed.

I want to know who greg knows that has an atlas t-case

Back