Testing a pretensioner in an '06 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Testing a pretensioner in an '06 Explorer

Happster

Reaction score
City, State
Dunstable, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Eddie Bauer Edition
Hey all. Getting the B2292 code in an '06 Exploder. The air bag light doesn't flash to let you know which side. That was too convenient for Ford to continue doing. But I had a Ford tech scan it and tell me it is the passenger side pretensioner. I understand that a retractor fault is a different code, so I am operating under the assumption that it is the buckle side pretensioner that is tripping the code and not the retractor. I tried cleaning up the contacts, connector grease, etc. It worked for about a month and the light came back. Now nothing I try works. Bought a used one...same code. Who knows if that was bad too. Tested out the circuit back to the RCM and confirmed continuity. So I tried ohming out the pretensioner, but am getting a dead fault situation. I know that some pretensioners have a spring-loaded bar inside (that shorts the two pins when you disconnect the connector), but I don't see one in this connector. So I tested the driver's side and both retractor pretensioners too, and got dead shorts there too. All zeros on the ohm meter, at all settings (20, 200, 200k, 2 mil) on all four pretensioners. Hardly a genius with an ohm meter, but it seems fairly straightforward. Any thoughts on how to get a true test on this thing? I must be missing something...they can't all be toast.

Back