• Register Today It's free!

The 2.3l Ecoboost XLT is fast...

Vet Rider

Reaction score
City, State
Northern Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer XLT
I took a driving trip, about 1500 miles. All highway driving and most of it over night. And a few times I had to "Slingshot engaged" around some trucks and slower traffic. And going from 65ish+ and just pinning it, man this thing accelerates fast. Not to incriminate myself, but this thing was touching 111mph in just a few seconds from around 70. Its amazing how fast it can accelerate from those speeds already. Admittedly off of idle its a dog. But once the boost kicks in, its a beast.

I can only imagine what the bigger ecoboost is capable of. I also have a 3.5l XLT and its nice off the line. But nowhere has the power to keep pulling like the little ecoboost.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If ~11 seconds is your definition of "a few seconds" then yes, the 3.5 Ecoboost is crazy fast.
According to Car and Driver, with a 2017 Platinum:
0-60: 5.8seconds
0-100: 15.2seconds
0-120: 23.7 seconds.

The OP was referring to the 2.3L Ecoboost when talking about "a few seconds".

The OP was referring to the 2.3L Ecoboost when talking about "a few seconds".

I know, I was just pointing out that even the bigger Ecoboost isn't "a few seconds" from 70-111mph so the little Ecoboost will be even further away from "a few seconds."

I know, I was just pointing out that even the bigger Ecoboost isn't "a few seconds" from 70-111mph so the little Ecoboost will be even further away from "a few seconds."
Okay, understood..

I also have been impressed with how well the little 2.3 does. I recently had ours loaded up with 6 guys, me being the small one at 175lbs. Pulled us along quite easily, and had no issues passing numerous times on the freeway.

I found it a little flat over 60+, but I bought it as a comfy cruiser anyway. No problems merging onto the highway, which is about the only aspect I care about.

Fast?? Come on....the same 2.3 in the mustang is considered quick...but no 300hp vehicle that weights 4600lbs should EVER be called fast. Fast for your expectations maybe.

sometimes the rivets on my big block dual snail V6 floorboard fly off with such intense speed:burnout:

Back