The 4.0 Swap was chump change compared to this - Look inside... | Page 48 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The 4.0 Swap was chump change compared to this - Look inside...

its a JD2 model 3, air over hydraulic. Its a pretty good bender, Eric has been using it for a long time so all the kinks are worked out and its easy to start bends in the same place every time. The only other bender i've used is a pro tools model 105, the advantage of it is you can use JD2 dies in it, as well as its own dies, but if you buy the dies you need it isn't a concern.

looks like it's going to be monday before I start on the cage, gotta swap an 8.8 into a heep, and I have some stuff to do at my dads on saturday. don't worry though, once it gets going it aint gonna stop for quite some time. I did realize why the body is flopping around like a wet noodle though, when I built my sliders I welded the body to the top of the slider, and it was welded on the outside and on the inside of the body, so it had 2 points of contact, when we did the back cage we cut out one of those sides to get better access to weld in the cage. now it is only welded on the outside of the body, I need to patch the inside back in so that it is rigid again, then it shouldn't be as floppy, I'll do that tonight or tomorrow and see if it fixes the problem.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

decided to paint the cage, looks pretty good I think
3C9-D727A35BE870-2066-000001FFB2F2CC34_zps77786123.jpg

I ran out of paint so a few tubes aren't quite done, I think it looks good on the tube

exo-2.jpg

I like it too, but with exo added. I guess tube doors would be too much to ask for?

trying to keep it really understated and simple, the halo on the front is going to go inside the roof and come out the front, then the A pillar is going to go down to the fender, and dive inside the fender down to the slider, I have thought about doing some tube fenders, but once I go full crawler and narrow the front I'd hate to chop out a bunch of tube work. And if I do the rear tube fenders it will look weird without front ones. I thought this would be a hybrid exo/interior cage but it is really going to be a lot more interior then exo

That's just plain cool! Front locker
Bump stops yes/no?
Any carnage to the steering link?

the steering worked out fine, it has a few scratches but it didn't bend, mainly because it is out of the way of everything now, and also because it is made out of stout material. I have a pair of bumpstops for the front, but I am wondering if I should try to get a nicer set, and use these for the back. As of right now the back won't flex into the fender, and the front it just crinkles it a little bit at full stuff. As for a front locker I have a dilemna, for the forseeable future i'm going to be running 35" tires, I just put a bunch of time into reinforcing this dana 30, and I know that my front axle build is going to take quite a while, because I want a hp44. So I have been giving serious consideration into running a spartan in my d30 and running yukon hardcore chromo shafts, I think with my low crawl ratio and also the fact that I will have a front locker will mean that I will be able to minimize shock loading on the front axle and reduce the chance of breakage. Eric and I have been kicking the idea around, and I just haven't quite made up my mind.

cool video man like how your trucks turning out any plains for a wintch?

cool video man like how your trucks turning out any plains for a wintch?

thanks man, every time I get the cash that I could possibly spend on a winch I spend it on other stuff lol. not a huge priority, I wheel with a lot of people with winches and I actually have never needed to be winched in this rig, but yeah at some point I'll build a better bumper and get a winch on there.

just put a new high pressure fuel pump in the beasty, hopefully that stops the intermittent no fuel problem. I was going to replace the whole fuel system from the tank to the engine with a cell and my own lines with a single in tank pump but who am I kidding, I like to wheel, and I already have my hands full trying to make time to finish the cage.

That truck is truly impressive. I wish I had the time and money to do a build up like yours!!

That truck is truly impressive. I wish I had the time and money to do a build up like yours!!

thanks man, its been a lot of fun, it actually hasn't cost that much money. The most expensive things have been the doubler kit and the tires.

checked out my fuel pressure the other day, running low when its running ok and it drops to like 10psi when it starts having it problem, gotta chase it down a little further and see if its an injector or the fuel pressure regulator, since I am running the bII 2.9 regulator I'm inclined to believe the regulator is at fault.

Yours is an 86 right? if you still have both pumps check the low side in the tank pump. I have the same problem. I spent the last 4 hours diagnosing it. The worst part is I just changed out the tank Sunday. And its now got 9 or 10 gallons of gas!! I already called out of work since it and my Harley are my 2 rides. I can't ride my girls around on the Harley.

9 or 10 Gallons.... Bwahahahaha... Jon and I pulled the one out of my Excursion with 35 gallons in it! Pain in the ass... Very happy I have a good friend like Jon to help me with these dilemmas..

Jon just cut a hole in the back of his for pump access, not sure if thats an option for you or not?

No its a clean DD. I use the old in the railpump as a siphon. I will pump it out. I have had the tank out 4 times now. Its way easier than the first time!! I will only need a few hours this time. I have tricks I learned along the way.

I just hate doing the same job twice (or 5 times)!!

Jon, I like your helper!! My youngest is always under the truck with me.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've done it so much, it didn't even take me 1 1/2 hours to drop that tank. Goes to prove with practice that damn I'm good!! Time #5!! I know all the socket sizes and what ratchets to use. This better be the last time!! I had about 9 gallons of gas. that too made it easy.

Back