The age old question! 4r55e 5r55e swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The age old question! 4r55e 5r55e swap

Ktown199

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 and 1997 Ford
Hello from sweden! I got 2 Explorers one 97 that runs great but looks like **** and one 95 that looks perfect but tranny is blown!

So after ALLOT of reading true forums i ask the age old question. Is the swap possible? Havent found any threads that says in the end ”to just like this and it will work”! Just what dosent work?

So what is more simple? Change the tranny and in hope that someone out there had the correct answer or change out the whole drivetrain ”engine, tranny etc”?

Please just give me a straight answer...tired of reading about gear ratios and solenoids!

Sorry for bad spelling lol

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just as long as the 97 transmission has the VSS sensor on the tail shaft it should plug and play. The computer controls the extra gear in the 5r transmission so it will still be a 4-speed transmission.

Okey should i swap the gearbox computer?

No unless you want to change all the harnesses. The 95 is a ******* year where obd2 was just starting so it wouldn't be plug and play. It would be beneficial to use all the 97 stuff as long as the truck is an ohv instead of a SOHC.

Okey so if it dosent have the vss sensor the swap wont be possible?

Okey so if it dosent have the vss sensor the swap wont be possible?

It would make it a little more difficult but is possible. Now you didn't specify if you are 2wd or 4x4. If your 2wd yes you need to make sure it has the sensor. If your 4x4 then disregard because the sensor is on the transfer case instead.

Two totally different transmissions w/drivetrain. It would be easier to just fix the bad transmission in the nice truck.

Okey not sure if its possible....it makes horrible noises lol

Back