the best Sport for me

tripleoption

Reaction score
City, State
KOSH
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLT
Howdy everyone.
I'm thinking about downsizing to a Sport. I like what I've got, but the resale is going by way too fast, and I don't have the time or money to maintain this thing until it dies. I need something reliable, low miles, and capable of doing what I ask.

What years are the best for Sports? I'm not into the off-roading, by your definitions. Our highways are challenging enough. I see snow often, and I need to be able to pull a 17' Bayliner. Most of my driving is on the highway.

I'm thinking about '01 and newer, just for the low mileage. What are some options I should insist on, or some things I should keep away from? Is reliability an isue between the manual vs auto?

Oh, I like power modifications. What's available for the newer Sports?

Many thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am very happy with my 2000 Sport, but I never have nor never will pull any thing.
It handles snow with no fuss, and is comfortable enough for highway driving.

I'm happy to see you're interested in a Sport. If you never drove a Sport before or ridden in one I suggest you road test one first. The wheelbase is about ten inches shorter than what you're currently driving. In other words it drives and rides like a truck (literally). Unless you've done modifications to your present X it rides like a sedan. "Good Luck" RAZOR

I agree with what Razor said.

Why change back to an inferior drivetrain? Your current truck will be more comfortable and last longer than a sport.

Thanks guys. I went out tonight and drooled on a used Navigator. Under 50k miles and under 20k bucks. Gas and insurance might kill me on that one though.

Also stumbled across a Mk 8. Man, that thing was awesome looking. Maybe I should sell the boat instead.

My uncle has a Sport, and you're right...it's a bit rougher than I like.

Maybe I should just mod my XLT until it's perfect. That seems to be the prevailing mood on this site anyways. :)

Good idea on geting a sport. I have a 96 and its just a alround sweet ride. I've been off-roading one day and a 5hr. one way drive down state the next. Just a good ride all around.

Originally posted by Jason_25
Your current truck will last longer than a sport.

How is that?

Originally posted by MONMIX
How is that?

That's probably a reference to the transmission. However, my tranny is being overhauled as I write this, just below 58k miles. Alec suggests I'm the only V8 to ever have a problem with my tranny. Right now just seems like a good time to look at something else.

Thanks for the thoughts guys. I'll keep them on my list. Maybe a better question would be...Is there a certain Sport to stay away from?

Back