How to: - The Comprehensive Brown Wire Mod Thread | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: The Comprehensive Brown Wire Mod Thread

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
ok then.....I guess thats pretty clear lol.....sorry for the dumb sounding questions but I'm new to this and I didnt want to screw anything up. Thanks for your help!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

this is perfect, i was curious if there was a way to disable the auto 4wd, and now i know, thanks =]

the brown wire mod should override the center axle disconect on 95-96 right?

EDIT:
...OOPS Nevermind...
Thought we had troubles, but didn't.

Great simple mod works beautifully :)

Ok other then playing.. is there any real benefit to doing this mod? Will my mpg improve? I kno my 4wd kicks in I dont' like that clunk but its also saved my ass in the past from kicking out.. I will probably do it.. but what other real benefit does it serve or is this just an offroad fun kind of deal? Very VERY good writeup I will say that you did excellent Joe as always

Ok other then playing.. is there any real benefit to doing this mod? Will my mpg improve? I kno my 4wd kicks in I dont' like that clunk but its also saved my ass in the past from kicking out.. I will probably do it.. but what other real benefit does it serve or is this just an offroad fun kind of deal? Very VERY good writeup I will say that you did excellent Joe as always

No, there are no mileage gains to be had. The only tangible benefit is that it wrestles the control of the system away from the computers and puts it back in the hands of the operator. It also provides 2low. That's really about it.

Ok so it does nothing perf or mileage wise.. No offense because the write up is fantastic but it basically allows you to bend your will and burn tires and spin in the mud as we all love to do and @ same time smoke a tcase... I would be too inclined to mash it.. I'll stay with 4auto I think for now

Fixing noise and vibration My 1997 Expy when turning left

Hi,

I had a problem with my 1997 Ford Expy Control Trac 4WD. While deeply turning either left or right at low speed, there were a repeated noise coming apparently from the front and a vibration that almost shakes the vehicle and you can feel it in the weel.

I've read maybe in this or other forums that it could be a bearing or something else in the suspenssion, or a failure in one or both differentials, or different diameter tires installed in the front end. I also read in other thread that this behavior could be related to a bad sensor and when turning to left or right the GEM reads a slippage in wheels and engages the 4WD.

So I basically did the brown wire mod as a start point to figure out what is happening with my truck:

1.I did a drive test, did some deep turns and the vibration and noise were there.
2.I cut the brown wire under the driver's seat.
3.I did a second drive test. The vibration and noise were gone. I'm happy.

Now, I have some questions to all of you, more experienced Explorer owners:

While it can be a workaround, I don't want to have this brown cable mod installed. I want to fix the problem and let the truck work as it was intended to. So I can't figure out what the signals are telling me. What component is not working properly? Torque On Demand relay, Transfer Case Clutch Coil, GEM, other?

Please advice.

Sorry for my english.

did you make this modification for a particular reason? Did you have an issue with the 4wd or is this a preference? and i have a question I would like to email you, if I may.
I need help with my 2000 ford xlt v6 . On my Ford Explorer xlt 2000 v6

When I have it in auto my 4wd does not engaged.

my front wheels seems like they chatter a bit ....

Like it wants to engage but it doesnt . .... when in auto. ANy help is appreciated!!!!!!!!!!! ronandtheresa@gmail.com

Okay so im gonig to do this mod for the 4 high def but i was just wondering if there is any reason 2 low is good. i would guess for towing but cant you tow in 4wd? also cant you stay in 2wd and just shift inot second or whatever. just wondering if there are any good reasons. Also are both the 96 and the 99 t-case the same just he computer controls them differently? i pulled a 5r55e out of a awd ex tp put into my 96 ranger 4wd but if my t case is burned up will the ex one fit as well?

Well...the BWM is complete !! Another satisfied customer !! I dont see why so many people dont understand how to do it, but atleast I do, and did it, and im way happy with it, Boy them back tires smoke good...Eh HAHA Thanks

Josh

Well...the BWM is complete !! Another satisfied customer !! I dont see why so many people dont understand how to do it, but atleast I do, and did it, and im way happy with it, Boy them back tires smoke good...Eh HAHA Thanks

Josh

gijoecam said:
First, please note that because of the design of our transfer case, our systems are NOT designed to allow unlimited wheel spin. Allowing excessive wheel spin (e.g. roasting tires for a city block or running Control-Trac/BWM-equipped vehicles on a 2 wheel drive dynomometer) forces the transfer case clutch to slip. Excessive slipping causes a tremendous amount of shearing of the transmission fluid used in our transfer cases. This can result in burning of the clutches as well as the transfer case lubricating oil and is NOT recommended. Our systems are not designed to allow tire-roasting slippage of the transfer case clutch, and doing-so can result in major mechanical damage of the system which can require replacement of costly internal components of the transfer case. Again, make this modification at your own risk

You have been duly warned. :)

Double warned!! :)

gijoecam said:
First, please note that because of the design of our transfer case, our systems are NOT designed to allow unlimited wheel spin. Allowing excessive wheel spin (e.g. roasting tires for a city block or running Control-Trac/BWM-equipped vehicles on a 2 wheel drive dynomometer) forces the transfer case clutch to slip. Excessive slipping causes a tremendous amount of shearing of the transmission fluid used in our transfer cases. This can result in burning of the clutches as well as the transfer case lubricating oil and is NOT recommended. Our systems are not designed to allow tire-roasting slippage of the transfer case clutch, and doing-so can result in major mechanical damage of the system which can require replacement of costly internal components of the transfer case. Again, make this modification at your own risk

I did it!!!

But the wire was exactly the same (forming the letter Y) but the color was more like pale brown with a blue line on it... I attached the switch directly on it (i did not cut the wire) because i only wanted to do the thing with regular on-off switch.... The only thing a want was to get rid of this stupid control trac! When iam stuck in the snow the 4x4 does not kick in, apparently i have to move at around 5 km/h for the 4x4 to kick in when the tire are slipping.

When a activate the switch my lighter fuse went off and my driver side window went down exactly like if i pressed the bouton to open the window but i didn't

What do you think?
Is there a lot of wires doing this Y thing in this area?
Is there any danger if i do not cut the wire? because if i don't cut the wire iam sending the 12v in the GEM!?

I know I've mentioned this before, but....

If it's not the brown wire, it's not the correct wire. if it is any color other than brown, it's not the correct wire. If the wire has a stripe on it, it's not the correct one. If you've spliced into some wire other than the brown wire, disconnect it before you cause any further damage (although the damage may already be done).

It's called the BROWN WIRE mod for a reason

If you follow the instructions from the write-up, there should be no fuses that blow and no functions otherwise affected.

The fix? Find the brown wire, cut it, and install the switch there.

Do i really need to cut it? i saw a reply here somewhere and the guy said no need to cut...
I need to put the 12v on the wire going up to the left is that it? Just want to be sure...

Regards,

Personally I would cut it. I would not feel comfortable sending power back through either the GEM or the TOD relay. It will work if you cut it and do it my way. Hundreds have done it successfully. If you choose not to, I can't promise anything.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i just did this mod today..it works great!!

Back