The Journey With My 2016 PIU

JimNTonic

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Milwaukee
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 PIU
I finally had time today to pick up my new to me 2016 PIU. I had about a 2 hour drive home with it and that gave me a chance to get to know it. Drives really well, quiet and it seems that everything works as it should.
Last Thursday, I reached out to the State Patrol HQ and inquired if there were any maintenance records available for it, and much to my surprise, I was contacted by the maintenance shop foreman and he sent me an XL spreadsheet with EVERYTHING that was done to this vehicle.
Oil changes, Tire changes, Brake work, Timing Chain, Water Pump, spark plugs, suspension work, transmission services, all documented.
All the work was done at Ford dealerships in Madison Wisconsin, and I added up the costs of the work that was done, and it was just over 18,000 dollars.
After getting home today, I spent some time cleaning the interior and removing about a hundred feet of wire that was still in the car from all the equipment that had been removed.
I removed the seats and gave the carpet under the seats a good cleaning, although I have to say, it was pretty clean to begin with.
I didn't take many pictures while I was cleaning, but here are a few of the car
IMG_3807.jpeg

Overall, it's pretty clean. There's a few dings here and there, but no rust that I could find.

IMG_3808.jpeg

the interior is very clean, but that driver's seat has the typical split on the side. I'll be changing the seat bottom cover as soon as I can figure out the correct part number

IMG_3809.jpeg

The back seat is just as clean. Almost no wear showing. The door panels don't have scuffs or any marks really. I do need to open up the area where the speaker is mounted. It's odd that they covered the speakers up, or that the car has speakers in the rear doors at all...

And the wire that was all removed. That 0 gauge positive cable that I removed went through a grommet in the front passenger firewall/foot well, so I cut it off right where it goes through the firewall. I didn't see it tied directly into the battery, so I need to find where it goes after leaving the cabin.
I ordered a couple remotes, since I only got 1 key with the car, and I need to get a second key cut.
Another thing I'd like to research are the lights mounted in the sideview mirrors. Not sure if those were strobes or what, and what were they tied into?
Loads to learn here and so far I've been enjoying learning about what makes the PIU different.
More to come...

IMG_3806.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Very nice. Welcome to the PIU club. If you haven't already you may want to get familiar with Forscan.

Very nice. Welcome to the PIU club. If you haven't already you may want to get familiar with Forscan.
Thanks Rich. Yeah, I downloaded Forscan and will be playing with it to adjust some of the settings, and program remotes and such...

Hi Jim. Very nice looking Explorer. I doubt that you will find any speakers in the rear doors but who knows? I think that removing the spotlight handle might be on your to-do list. You will also need to replace that black moulding along with the plastic clips.

Peter

Hi Jim. Very nice looking Explorer. I doubt that you will find any speakers in the rear doors but who knows? I think that removing the spotlight handle might be on your to-do list. You will also need to replace that black moulding along with the plastic clips.

Peter
Hi Peter. Yes, I actually do have rear speakers, but obviously quite muffled. I don't think I want to do the "Salt Shaker" holes, so I'll open up the panels and install grills. The spotlight has to go, I agree. I found that patch panel available on a few sites, which would be the quick easy way to repair the gaping hole left by the removal of the spotlight handle, but I'm not sure I'll like the results. I have to think about that one...

I swung by the local Ford dealership this morning and picked up a replacement storage clip for the Hood Prop Rod, and license plate attach inserts for the rear. Ordered a remote, signed up for Forscan and downloaded it and even found an Owners manual on eBay and pulled the trigger on it.

We're getting there...

Hi Peter. Yes, I actually do have rear speakers, but obviously quite muffled. I don't think I want to do the "Salt Shaker" holes, so I'll open up the panels and install grills. The spotlight has to go, I agree. I found that patch panel available on a few sites, which would be the quick easy way to repair the gaping hole left by the removal of the spotlight handle, but I'm not sure I'll like the results. I have to think about that one...

I swung by the local Ford dealership this morning and picked up a replacement storage clip for the Hood Prop Rod, and license plate attach inserts for the rear. Ordered a remote, signed up for Forscan and downloaded it and even found an Owners manual on eBay and pulled the trigger on it.

We're getting there...
I also didn't like the "saltshaker" approach you are talking about with the rear door speakers. I opted to drill several larger holes in the door panel with a 1" hole saw and installed speaker grills over them, I think it turned out nicely (most people would think its OEM).
Fixing the spotlight isn't really difficult or to cost prohibitive. I'd personally just replace the trim piece. I know that a sticker or etc. covering the hole would drive me crazy. Good luck and congrats on the PIU!

Time for my first week update. I spent some time with Forscan today and got a few things changed. Was able to add the Active AWD screen to the instrument cluster and changed a few other minor settings.
pretty cool....
I ordered the aFe intake on Wednesday and got an email yesterday stating it should be arriving tomorrow. That'll be cool.

A few days ago I had a TPMS sensor fail. Tried to reset it with Foracan and my Autel scanner, but no joy. So, I ordered some replacements and will be swapping out the failed unit.

I've been slowly cleaning the State Patrol decal residue off with WD-40. Slow going, but it's working.
And I found a local guy with a set of Interceptor Steelies that I might pick up. My PIU came with Goodyear winter tires, so I'll need something to run next spring when the temps come back up.
I've put about 4-500 miles on it this last week and during my commute,I'm averaging 20.5 - 21mpg. Not the 47mpg I get with my ES300H, but I'll take it!

Time for my first week update. I spent some time with Forscan today and got a few things changed. Was able to add the Active AWD screen to the instrument cluster and changed a few other minor settings.
pretty cool....
I ordered the aFe intake on Wednesday and got an email yesterday stating it should be arriving tomorrow. That'll be cool.

A few days ago I had a TPMS sensor fail. Tried to reset it with Foracan and my Autel scanner, but no joy. So, I ordered some replacements and will be swapping out the failed unit.

I've been slowly cleaning the State Patrol decal residue off with WD-40. Slow going, but it's working.
And I found a local guy with a set of Interceptor Steelies that I might pick up. My PIU came with Goodyear winter tires, so I'll need something to run next spring when the temps come back up.
I've put about 4-500 miles on it this last week and during my commute,I'm averaging 20.5 - 21mpg. Not the 47mpg I get with my ES300H, but I'll take it!
When you say "Steelies" are you referring to the OE steel wheels or the chrome center cap? If it's the former you already have those wheels, just need to remove the full wheel covers and pop on the chrome center caps. One thing to note is the center caps are specific to the newer FPIS and FPIU, not that the older version for crown vics won't fit, but they are a different style and don't look entirely correct if that's what you're going for.

When you say "Steelies" are you referring to the OE steel wheels or the chrome center cap? If it's the former you already have those wheels, just need to remove the full wheel covers and pop on the chrome center caps. One thing to note is the center caps are specific to the newer FPIS and FPIU, not that the older version for crown vics won't fit, but they are a different style and don't look entirely correct if that's what you're going for.
Whenever I see the word "steelies" I think of the PIU steel wheels that use either a full wheel cover or the chrome center cap. I am quite sure that is what he is referring to as well. I have used them for winter wheels.

Peter

Whenever I see the word "steelies" I think of the PIU steel wheels that use either a full wheel cover or the chrome center cap. I am quite sure that is what he is referring to as well. I have used them for winter wheels.

Peter
I think so too, which is why I posed the question. From the pictures posted that he already had factory "steelies" with the "street appearance full wheel covers. Sometimes words and nicknames get mixed-up. Just didn't want to see a new owner buy a 2nd set of the same wheels he already has. :thumbsup:

I think so too, which is why I posed the question. From the pictures posted that he already had factory "steelies" with the "street appearance full wheel covers. Sometimes words and nicknames get mixed-up. Just didn't want to see a new owner buy a 2nd set of the same wheels he already has. :thumbsup:
I believe he is looking for a second set to use for winter.

Peter

Yeah, Sorry... Old school speak here! I bought a second set of Steel wheels (Steelies) to mount my summer tires next spring. Since only have the snow tires currently, I wanted something to mount new tires next spring and I got these for 125 bucks. I'll just reuse my same wheel covers on the other wheels. I've seen them called "Detective" wheel covers, so I guess I'll go with that.
I did swap out the inop Left Rear TPMS sensor this afternoon, but ran out of time to program it. The original unit was broken, and half of it was just floating around inside the tire assembly. Go figure.....
My rear seat speaker grills showed up today, so next weekend I have a couple tasks to complete. The intake kit got delayed with Fed Ex, so now it's coming tomorrow.
Thanks to those reading this. Much appreciate the interest!
More to come...

Made some headway on the Interceptor today.
I had to pickup a new TPMS Tool, my current tool is set up for GM 433mhz sensors, so I needed a 315mhz for this thing.
I removed the remnants of the spotlight and installed a new A pillar trim piece.
IMG_3819.jpeg

l got the rear door panels off and opened up the speaker panel, and installed the grills. I figured since I had the door panels off, I would install a small tweeter just to see if they would make any difference.
IMG_3823.jpeg

And what a difference that made. Very happy with the results.

I finished up the day installing my aFe Intake I purchased last week. Too early to tell the difference it might make, but it sure made an improvement in the sound.

IMG_3820.jpeg

I'm really enjoying this thing. Great sound system, comfortable, roomy and gets up and moves!

Went to a local Pull-A-Part yard here in Milwaukee yesterday. I found a 2015 Explorer that was fairly complete. I grabbed the interior A Pillar trim and the rear floor mats, all for 15 bucks. I'm happy with that.
Got the A pillar trim installed and cleaned the floor mats. So, the list is getting shorter on things that need to be accomplished. It'll need an oil change here in a few weeks, but after that, I'll just drive it until the spring. At that time, I'll be swapping out the winter tires for the summer tires and I'd like to figure out which lowering springs to buy. I'm not real happy with the current height.
I did buy a Remote Fob, but it'll have to go to the dealer to be programmed. Maybe I'll have them do the oil change and the fob at the same time.
More to come...

Went to a local Pull-A-Part yard here in Milwaukee yesterday. I found a 2015 Explorer that was fairly complete. I grabbed the interior A Pillar trim and the rear floor mats, all for 15 bucks. I'm happy with that.
Got the A pillar trim installed and cleaned the floor mats. So, the list is getting shorter on things that need to be accomplished. It'll need an oil change here in a few weeks, but after that, I'll just drive it until the spring. At that time, I'll be swapping out the winter tires for the summer tires and I'd like to figure out which lowering springs to buy. I'm not real happy with the current height.
I did buy a Remote Fob, but it'll have to go to the dealer to be programmed. Maybe I'll have them do the oil change and the fob at the same time.
More to come...
Nice junkyard finds! She's coming together nicely. I have H&R lowering springs on mine and recommend them. The PIU looks great lowered on them. If you bought 1 of the 2 factory 3 button FOBs for the 2016-2019 PIU's you can program it yourself in forscan saving yourself a trip to the dealer.
I like the idea of the rear tweeter; did you piggyback it off the midbass in the door? use a crossover? I think I'm going to replace mine with a 2-way coaxial opposed to the component route you used.

Hi Ryan;
Thanks and yes, I bought the 3 button with rear door release. I think it's the "1C" or something like that. Everything I've read says that 2016 and newer need to go to the Dealership to have the remote programmed with IDS, but I'm still new to all this Ford stuff, so perhaps it can be done with Forscan??
The tweeters on the rear door cards made a huge difference with the sound. Obviously opening up the door to allow the sound through is needed, but I figured those speakers sit so far inside that door card that a flush mounted tweeter would help. And it did. I just soldered the wires right into the 2 wire connector for the existing speaker. They came with Crossovers, so low freqs are filtered out.
I see lots of guys have went with the H&R springs. There's something about the rear concentric bolts needing to be replaced?

Hi Ryan;
Thanks and yes, I bought the 3 button with rear door release. I think it's the "1C" or something like that. Everything I've read says that 2016 and newer need to go to the Dealership to have the remote programmed with IDS, but I'm still new to all this Ford stuff, so perhaps it can be done with Forscan??
The tweeters on the rear door cards made a huge difference with the sound. Obviously opening up the door to allow the sound through is needed, but I figured those speakers sit so far inside that door card that a flush mounted tweeter would help. And it did. I just soldered the wires right into the 2 wire connector for the existing speaker. They came with Crossovers, so low freqs are filtered out.
I see lots of guys have went with the H&R springs. There's something about the rear concentric bolts needing to be replaced?
The forums are full of posts on the 16+ saying IDS is the only way (maybe it was back then with an older version of forscan). You'll find some folks just parroting something they read or heard and have no actual experience. I can tell you with certainty that if your fob has the 48 digit security code inside of it you can program it yourself with forscan. I have done this personally as mine only came with 1 fob when I bought it.
The speakers do sit pretty deep in the door good point. I think the coaxials will work for me as I don't typically have rear passengers and I plan to focus on a nice set of component speakers in the front doors.
With the lowering springs your milage may vary but mine didn't require new concentric bolts to get it aligned.

The forums are full of posts on the 16+ saying IDS is the only way (maybe it was back then with an older version of forscan). You'll find some folks just parroting something they read or heard and have no actual experience. I can tell you with certainty that if your fob has the 48 digit security code inside of it you can program it yourself with forscan. I have done this personally as mine only came with 1 fob when I bought it.
The speakers do sit pretty deep in the door good point. I think the coaxials will work for me as I don't typically have rear passengers and I plan to focus on a nice set of component speakers in the front doors.
With the lowering springs your milage may vary but mine didn't require new concentric bolts to get it aligned.
yup, I can verify this remote has a 48 character code. I'll read up on how to program with Forscan.. :chug:

Well, I got the remote set up through Forscan. Very easy. All functions work as they should. I deactivated the "Dark Mode" since I don't have a need, and got the headlight timer set up as well. I've put about 1000 miles on it and the vehicle has been great. The aFe intake sounds great, and it "feels" quicker, but I know that's the placebo effect of the noise. Freeway mileage is still consistent in the 21 mpg range.
Super happy with this thing AND my wife doesn't like it, so I thankfully don't have to worry about her driving it!
I had my Lexus for a week when she curbed it going through the Starbucks drive through.... Arrgh:angryfire:! I love her to death, but there are somethings that we just don't see eye to eye on!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, I got the remote set up through Forscan. Very easy. All functions work as they should. I deactivated the "Dark Mode" since I don't have a need, and got the headlight timer set up as well. I've put about 1000 miles on it and the vehicle has been great. The aFe intake sounds great, and it "feels" quicker, but I know that's the placebo effect of the noise. Freeway mileage is still consistent in the 21 mpg range.
Super happy with this thing AND my wife doesn't like it, so I thankfully don't have to worry about her driving it!
I had my Lexus for a week when she curbed it going through the Starbucks drive through.... Arrgh:angryfire:! I love her to death, but there are somethings that we just don't see eye to eye on!
Great news! Hopefully between your ownership and mine we can help those out with 16-19 PIUs. There’s a lot of misinformation floating around that’s flat out wrong or no longer correct when modifying these. Glad you’re enjoying your new ride!

Back