The red brake light on the dashboard is always on. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The red brake light on the dashboard is always on.

Reaction score
City, State
Portland, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Aerostar XL 3.0
Good evening!

My new (to me) 1993 Aerostar XL 3.0 RWD has the BRAKE light lit on the dashboard 100% of the time, and I am at a loss on what it could be.

The brake fluid is full. The parking brake is all the way down (hand brake) I have inspected the level sensor, it looks visually okay, connections are clean, and that would be my next step in replacement, but I can't find one anywhere. Online, or at the auto parts store. The fluid reservoir looks new, the fluid itself looks great. The previous owner said new brakes are on all around.

The black level sensor slides below the reservoir, and locks into groves, then the grey clip comes into the other end. When unplugged, the light on the dash goes off.

Does anyone have experience with a similar issue? Does anyone have a part number of this level sensor?

Where should I go from here? Idiot lights on dashboards give me anxiety.

Other known issues with the van: Power steering pump / thermostat is stuck open I believe / clock spring / airbag control module fuse. I doubt there is a relation, but this is all I know.

Thank you everyone, I really appreciate this.

IMG_2999.jpg

IMG_3001.jpg

IMG_3003.jpg

IMG_3007.jpg

IMG_3008.jpg

IMG_3012.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Also: When I had the sensor unplugged, and then lifted the parking brake, the light never came on.

Just FYI.

I'm going to try cleaning the parking brake switch, I saw it recommended on another post. I will update from there.

Update: I just realized that my REAR ABS light never comes on. I'm going to check the bulb this weekend, and see if that is burnt out.

Assuming it is burnt out, I will replace that bulb and then see if it's lit.

This would make it easier if it is, then I can replace the rear sensor and (hopefully) call it a day.

This just happened to me a couple of days ago (about the time when you started this thread). I didn't see this thread until now. I unplugged the Delta-P sensor in your last photo which is on the combination brake proportioning valve assembly, and that took care of the light. You won't find this sensor anywhere. It's not listed on any parts websites.

This just happened to me a couple of days ago (about the time when you started this thread). I didn't see this thread until now. I unplugged the Delta-P sensor in your last photo which is on the combination brake proportioning valve assembly, and that took care of the light. You won't find this sensor anywhere. It's not listed on any parts websites.

Yeah, that did kill my brake light too.

I am hoping that my rear ABS light is burnt out, so I can fix that and hopefully just have it be the rear speed sensor.

With that Delta P unplugged, my parking break lever didn't control the BRAKE on the dash, but with it plugged in, it's always on.

I am so excited for Sunday to dig into this!

So this means that the emergency brake switch is dirty or defective. Take out that switch, and spray contact cleaner or WD-40 into it. Leave the Delta-P sensor unplugged.

That is on my list for this weekend as well.

When you start your van(s), do you see the ABS light at all? Even for a moment? Mine never comes on.

I'll go out and check right now.Rear ABS comes on for about 2 seconds only.Mine's on the left.

I'll go out and check right now.Rear ABS comes on for about 2 seconds only.Mine's on the left.

Okay, nice! Thank you for checking that.

If I get a flashlight and look at my dash, I can see where the REAR ABS light is, also on the bottom left, but it's never lit up. Hmmm

Had a little SUNDAY FUNDAY with the van yesterday...

• Cleaned my parking brake switch, now the BRAKE light gets slightly dimmer / brighter when I love move the handbrake. Proof a cleaning was needed, it didn't do that before.
  • Took apart the cluster, and discovered the REAR ABS light bulb was burnt out
  • Replaced the bulb
  • Started the van
  • BRAKE and REAR ABS lights are both constantly lit, like I though they would be
  • Replaced the REAR ABS sensor / no change. Drove around and still no change.
  • I am going to do the test on the delta P / rear ABS proportioning valve and see if that makes the light turn off. I really hope that's the cause of this issue. Then it would just be a proportioning valve replacement, right?
Also, when I got the cluster back (and dash back together) now anything over 45 MPH, the speedometer needle dances around like crazy! I'm hoping I bumped something loose, going to open her back up and make sure all the connections are tight. :(:mad::(:mad:

Capture.PNG

Update: I had the van towed to my friends shop, for a weird non-start issue that was random, and upon fixing that and doing a spark plug replacement, I asked him to look into the BRAKE and RABS lights.

I did some messing around with the proportioning valve, and got both of the lights to shut off! I'm picking up Ruby on Friday, so I'll see how long that last's, but at least we know what part to replace now, if/when the issue comes back!

IMG_3266.JPG

Everything helps when problems get solved.People know to look at stuff they'd never consider when they do a search. Thanks!

Back