There is a 2 wheel drive 5.0 L. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

There is a 2 wheel drive 5.0 L.

98Explorification

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer Limited
I have been reading posts and getting info on here for a few years, Everyone wants to change their 5.0 to 2 wheel drive. Since i have never seen this info posted i thought i would shed some light on a seemingly hopeless subject. In 1997 Mercury introduced the mountaineer, It was only offered in a V8. However offered as an option was the rear wheel drive version from 97-2000. It has all of the parts needed for a true 2 wheel drive. I have done the research, See Mercury Mountaineer on wikipedia.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have been reading posts and getting info on here for a few years, Everyone wants to change their 5.0 to 2 wheel drive. Since i have never seen this info posted i thought i would shed some light on a seemingly hopeless subject. In 1997 Mercury introduced the mountaineer, It was only offered in a V8. However offered as an option was the rear wheel drive version from 97-2000. It has all of the parts needed for a true 2 wheel drive. I have done the research, See Mercury Mountaineer on wikipedia.
However you will need to purchase new parts as your chances of finding one ha ha ha ha. Just saying.

They're out there. As of right now, there are seven on Autotrader.

The Mountaineer came in V6 as well........ There were also 2wd Ford Explorers.

For the cost and labor involved you’d be better off converting to a 4406 and keeping the 4wd function, as well as raising the resale value, as opposed to lowering it.

They're not that rare. I ran across a few while finding my swap donor. Ended up buying one and a separate 4wd 4R70W transmission. If anybody needs something specific to a 2wd V8 Explorer, let me know.

I had a 2001 5.0 2WD Mountaineer back in 2001.

That was when I lived in Charlotte where it snowed now and then.

Now that I'm in south Florida, where it doesn't snow, I have a 2000 5.0 AWD Mountie that I swapped a 4406 into.

Go figure the irony.

to OP If you go to the trans section of this forum, you will see much mention of the longer trans end housing for a 2WD/RWD. For info, If you want help for your 2nd generation explorer this is the place. There are folks here that know every single and part on them.

I bought a '97 Mountaineer in 2014 for my son to replace his '97 that was totaled, thinking all Mountaineers were 5.0 AWD. I was surprised to discover the one I'd just bought was 2WD. So we have a 140,000 mile Mountaineer 5.0 2WD.

In '97 only, I think, all Mountaineers were 5.0s, but both 2WD and AWD. V6s came later.

Yep. We own 2 of them (an '01 Explorer and a '00 Mountaineer). Making an AWD a 2WD is not so easy as just pulling the front drive shaft though.

Mine was a 2wd when I got it...till I looked under and saw the front diff and no driveshaft. LOL :snicker:. It looked like it was like that for a long time. The flange on the AWD TC was caked with mud and gunk. Seriously, I had to dig to find the bolt holes on the flange to see if they were there!
I cant imagine what the condition of that front diff is and TC from the years of abuse of no DS.

:bounce:I'm hacking that stuff off anyways for SAS. :p

The diff and t case are probably totally fine, or you’d still have issues as it all spins anyways. Most likely the cv failed on the front shaft.

The diff and t case are probably totally fine, or you’d still have issues as it all spins anyways. Most likely the cv failed on the front shaft.

Or the viscous coupling in the t-case is toast.

I bet Front cv’s fail 10-1 of the viscous couplings.

I guess I'm a minority???

I ordered mine brand new as a 2WD back in 97.

2WD Explorers aren't rare at all. But here's a couple of interesting details about the Ford developed mail truck they made for a short time. The FFV they called it, was a 2WD SOHC chassis, with a body and interior made for the PO, not user friendly for much of anything.

It had no AC, radio, power anything, but it did have the 200hp V6, and it'll fly compared to other USPS vehicles. I've looked on over a couple of times at work. It could easily have been made with 4WD, and AC. They were apparently very rare, but if I could find one, I'd slip a 302/AWD into it, and remove the center console(parking brake handle). It's a good size inside, though smaller than other LLV's which are most of the PO fleet.

I can’t believe it didn’t have AC, that’s crazy.

The FFV's we have up here are 4wd. I've driven them quite a few times and they are silly fast! When not loaded up with parcels of coarse. Lightweight aluminum body on a explorer frame with no frills as you said. Much lighter than even a sport body i am sure. A v8 would just be crazy! The LLV's of the other hand can't get our of it's own way with the 2.4L chebby engine. I've driven hundreds of them and you'd be lucky to find one that goes past 70mph. No balls at all.

AWD Explorers were mainly sold in the north while 2wd were sold in the warmer climates is the way I always figured. In the past I sold a couple 2wd's up here in MI and people have said they didn't even know they made them cause all they ever seen was awd.

I bought a 2000 5.0l Miami k9 police truck at an auction once (1 of 2 they had) and it was AWD. For driving on the beach sand I figure.

The FFV's we have up here are 4wd. I've driven them quite a few times and they are silly fast! When not loaded up with parcels of coarse. Lightweight aluminum body on a explorer frame with no frills as you said. Much lighter than even a sport body i am sure. A v8 would just be crazy! The LLV's of the other hand can't get our of it's own way with the 2.4L chebby engine. I've driven hundreds of them and you'd be lucky to find one that goes past 70mph. No balls at all.

AWD Explorers were mainly sold in the north while 2wd were sold in the warmer climates is the way I always figured. In the past I sold a couple 2wd's up here in MI and people have said they didn't even know they made them cause all they ever seen was awd.

I bought a 2000 5.0l Miami k9 police truck at an auction once (1 of 2 they had) and it was AWD. For driving on the beach sand I figure.
Cool, I might have to hunt around to see if a used FFV turned up. Even if it was just to resell to a coworker, I'd like to get hands on one to check it out a lot closer. I'd be looking for a RHD Explorer dash etc, from Australia, England, or wherever they made those. I could build a better mail truck than what the PO has, and make it AWD with the things actual carrier's would like.

I'm actually in the process of 2wd to awd lol, then eventually 4406 swap. I went to an all you can carry sale last weekend and got everything but the tranny for 65 bucks lol

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Centaurus5.0, Yesterday at 12:31 PM Report Top of Page

I think it had more to do with financial demographics than where the AWD was actually needed.

I have seen more AWDs here in south FL than I ever did in NC.

And of course this area is more affluent.

Back