Thinking about buying 2014

Chimmy76

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia Beach,VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Tundra
Hi everyone,
I am thinking about getting back into a new explorer either a loaded xlt or 301 limited like I had before. How are the later models reliability ? I miss driving the explorer fun vehicle to drive ! I wish you can get the sony system in the xlt and remote start. I had the ltd 4wd 301a pkg great vehicle except the issues I had shimmy at take off the odor when acceleration

Hi everyone,
I am thinking about getting back into a new explorer either a loaded xlt or 301 limited like I had before. How are the later models reliability ? I miss driving the explorer fun vehicle to drive ! I wish you can get the sony system in the xlt and remote start. I had the ltd 4wd 301a pkg great vehicle except the issues I had shimmy at take off the odor when acceleration
Welcome back Chimmy76.:wavey:
If you scroll through or do a 'Search' of the threads you will find most of your answers. Unfortunately the 'smell' is still there with some of the Explorers as are various forms of vibration. I still have not experienced either in my 2011. I'm waiting to see what the 2015 model has to offer.

Peter

Thanks! I thought they said the shimmy was fixed with the new ptu that couldn't be retrofitted on the 11's . I'll have to do more research this time before I buy! I thought they found a resolution to the odor also ?

Thanks! I thought they said the shimmy was fixed with the new ptu that couldn't be retrofitted on the 11's . I'll have to do more research this time before I buy! I thought they found a resolution to the odor also ?
The posts refer to it more as a 'vibration' rather than a 'shimmy'.
I don't believe it is as big an issue as it was initially. There is a 'fix' posted in the TSB 'sticky' for the smell but it has not proven to be very successful for all that have had it done. Many still have it. Apparently, according to one post, Ford is planning to to remove the platinum from the catalytic converter. This is supposed to eliminate the 'rotten egg' smell some are experiencing.

Peter

Back