Thinking of Purchasing Explorer Sport BUT, No Xenon? Is this true? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Thinking of Purchasing Explorer Sport BUT, No Xenon? Is this true?

Kneb

Reaction score
City, State
Oakland, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Infiniti G35
I've been browsing the forums but can't seem to get a conclusive answer. So the Sport model even though almost 50K has no HID Projectors? Why is this? Even 20 Thousand dollar cars have this. Considering you can get the same package the 40A or whatever it's called why would it not have HIDs? This is really dissapointing all my recent cars have HID and I can't imagine going back to halogens they just don't give off enough light.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So get a Limited with 302A and get your HIDs and a lot more options than the Sport has.

It is the typical manufacturer tactic- present a new model with missing options/features to be added in future model years.

It is the typical manufacturer tactic- present a new model with missing options/features to be added in future model years.

I don't think its about adding features to future models, I think it's more about marketing (though I think HID was a bad marketing option to omit).

The idea is the limited is marketed toward luxury users, and the Sport toward hp/sport enthusiasts. They don't want the two to compete, and they want the price point of the two to remain similar (so that the Explorer remains in the same price class for competing brands). If the Sport had active park, power fold seats, HID, and all the other things that the Limited has as available options, it would push the price up past the 55-60k mark and you would be competing with luxury brands like Mercedes, BMW, etc. Ford wants to compete with Dodge, Chevy, KIA because the price for features of Ford makes it a much better bang for your buck in that category.

HID missing from the Sport was a BAD marketing decision though, HID is something that should be available (or standard) on any new model vehicle. That being said the projectors on the sport are very bright, and provide adequate lighting I have found. I don't perceive an incredible difference in the amount of light in comparison to the HID's on my wife's Camaro. I don't know if that gives the OP any comfort in choosing the Sport model.

Another thing to consider is that it is not too difficult to add HIDs as an aftermarket upgrade. I know there has been a fair amount of talk on the forums about this, but for my 1995 911 it was a simple plug and play (after wiring the ballasts).

I've been browsing the forums but can't seem to get a conclusive answer. So the Sport model even though almost 50K has no HID Projectors? Why is this? Even 20 Thousand dollar cars have this. Considering you can get the same package the 40A or whatever it's called why would it not have HIDs? This is really dissapointing all my recent cars have HID and I can't imagine going back to halogens they just don't give off enough light.
I have a 2011 Limited with HID lamps. I don't think they are any better than the replacement Philips X-treme Power bulbs I put in my last vehicle that had the Halogen projector bulbs. One member posted that the HID's in the 2013 model are much better. :dunno:
BTW, welcome to the Forum Kneb.:wavey:

Peter

I have a 2011 Limited with HID lamps. I don't think they are any better than the replacement Philips X-treme Power bulbs I put in my last vehicle that had the Halogen projector bulbs. One member posted that the HID's in the 2013 model are much better. :dunno:
BTW, welcome to the Forum Kneb.:wavey:

Peter

They are!!

I've seen the output of the halogen bulbs and they aren't bad, but not nearly as good as the hid. And the hid's really shine with the high beams on.

The first time you hit 0-60 with 4WD and 365hp, you'll forget about the headlights. I'm just trying to decide between aftermarket PNP bulbs or hotter temp halogens.

I think they are making room for the Lincoln Aviator. You see this same exact pattern of options offered/deleted when you compare the Edge Limited and Edge Sport with the Lincoln MKX. They are doing their best to avoid options overlap and sales cannibalization between brands :)

The first time you hit 0-60 with 4WD and 365hp, you'll forget about the headlights. I'm just trying to decide between aftermarket PNP bulbs or hotter temp halogens.

Could you not just buy the HID parts from ford (housings and ballasts)? Then It would be like factory and better than a retrofit.

Im just going to do A 8000k ddm tuning kit in the headlights and add a 3000k set of foglights while Im at it. Ddm tuning carries a full lifetime warranty on their hid kits and bulbs. They are cheap too.

Www.ddmtuning.com

Hey guys, thanks for the replies and welcoming. My wife has a TL and the brightness of the projector HIDs is dramatically different than any halogen they brighten up 5 lanes easy. I think acura makes the best HID projectors out. Doing a retrofit is just too expensive and time consuming, i would think a headlight swap with the limited HIDs would cost the same as a retrofit? OEM parts are not cheap when it comes to head light assembly's. Aftermarket kits are a no go for me. Halogen projectors are not made to transmit HID and dont give off the right amount of light to the ground. Its all for show, i'd like usable light.

It was a bad decision not to include these because the engine of the sport is whats really intriguing about the car. HIDs are more than just a luxary thing. Impreza's and evolutions etc have HiD's as an option. Even mazda 3's, far from luxurious. Weird

Hey guys, thanks for the replies and welcoming. My wife has a TL and the brightness of the projector HIDs is dramatically different than any halogen they brighten up 5 lanes easy. I think acura makes the best HID projectors out. Doing a retrofit is just too expensive and time consuming, i would think a headlight swap with the limited HIDs would cost the same right? OEM parts are not cheap when it comes to head light assembly's. Aftermarket kits are a no go for me. Halogen projectors are not made to transmit HID and dont give off the right amount of light to the ground. Its all for show, i'd like usable light.

It was a bad decision not to include these because the engine of the sport is whats really intriguing about the car. HIDs are more than just a luxary thing. Impreza's and evolutions etc have HiD's as an option. Even mazda 3's, far from luxurious. Weird

We went from an 11 Acura MDX to our 12 Ex Limited and I have to agree with you. The Acura's HID's were quite a bit better than the Fords. However, that's about the only part better about the Acura. The road and tire noise was unbearable on the Acura. I always was checking to see if the drivers window was down a bit when driving next to another vehicle. Too bad Ford couldn't do bi-level headlights so that the high beams were also HID. The current halogen high beams are pretty weak.

We went from an 11 Acura MDX to our 12 Ex Limited and I have to agree with you. The Acura's HID's were quite a bit better than the Fords. However, that's about the only part better about the Acura. The road and tire noise was unbearable on the Acura. I always was checking to see if the drivers window was down a bit when driving next to another vehicle. Too bad Ford couldn't do bi-level headlights so that the high beams were also HID. The current halogen high beams are pretty weak.

The Explorer HID headlights use the HID bulbs for the high beams. The lights use a little flap that moves out of the way to expose the bulbs fully to provide the high beam illumination. That is why they make a little noise when the high beams are turned on :)

Im just going to do A 8000k ddm tuning kit in the headlights and add a 3000k set of foglights while Im at it. Ddm tuning carries a full lifetime warranty on their hid kits and bulbs. They are cheap too.

Www.ddmtuning.com
If it is a brighter light you want you do not want to go with 8000K. According to the chart, you would want the 4300K units which are the whitest and brightest. Usually more than 3X the light of a standard halogen. Light output appear to go down as the number goes up.

http://www.blindinghid.com/hid-colors/

Peter

The Explorer HID headlights use the HID bulbs for the high beams. The lights use a little flap that moves out of the way to expose the bulbs fully to provide the high beam illumination. That is why they make a little noise when the high beams are turned on :)

Yeah, I'm not sure what's he is talking about there. Either he has HID's or he doesn't. Both the Halogen and HID projector are 1 bulb systems for both low and high.

And again, he has a 2012, so he has the older HID projectors which aren't as good as the 2013.

In Canada, all the Limiteds come standard with HID lights.

Peter

Interesting was it the tires causing the road noise? I'm considering an MDX as well.

Could you not just buy the HID parts from ford (housings and ballasts)? Then It would be like factory and better than a retrofit.

You'd think so

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Interesting was it the tires causing the road noise? I'm considering an MDX as well.

I was close to pulling the trigger on an MDX, and ended up with the Ex Sport. From having the car for half a day, the ride was nice, and I didn't notice too much road noise, at least not much more than the Ex has.

Price-wise, the MDX would have been about 2k less than X-plan for the Ex, for a MY12 Tech/Entertainment Pkg with tow hitch. In the end, the interior felt dated, or to quote my wife, like an old persons car.

Try driving both a bit and see what feels more comfortable. I will say that IMO, the seats in the MDX have better lateral support, but I am very happy with our decision.

Back