Thinking of Purchasing Explorer Sport BUT, No Xenon? Is this true? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Thinking of Purchasing Explorer Sport BUT, No Xenon? Is this true?

HID installed on my base...:)

Attachments

• DSC_5943.jpg
    DSC_5943.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 581

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You'd think so

It is quite a bit more expensive. We explored this idea with my friend's Edge Sport. If I remember correctly, it was almost $800 per side, plus any labor if you decided not to do it your self.

Doing a quick check on Ford Parts.com, the Explorer HID assemblies run $775.97, but that as listed as the 'decontented headlamp' headlight assembly.It then goes on to list almost $700 more in parts below it. So I'm not sure what combination of the listed parts make up a complete assembly, or maybe it is about $1500 per side to add HIDs using parts purchased from Ford :eek:

And since HIDs aren't available on an explorer, any housing specifically for HIDs you buy from ford won't be blacked out like the sports'...

The Explorer HID headlights use the HID bulbs for the high beams. The lights use a little flap that moves out of the way to expose the bulbs fully to provide the high beam illumination. That is why they make a little noise when the high beams are turned on :)

Then I stand corrected. Could have sworn I saw in the owners manual that even if you had HID lows, you had Halogen highs. Our Acura was like that. Wow, if that is the case, I'm surprised how weak the highs are. Any idea on what they changed from the 12's to the supposed better 13's then?

Yeah, I'm not sure what's he is talking about there. Either he has HID's or he doesn't. Both the Halogen and HID projector are 1 bulb systems for both low and high.

And again, he has a 2012, so he has the older HID projectors which aren't as good as the 2013.

I just responded to Vincel's comment. Was not aware they were one bulb systems. The Acura's Halogen high beams were far better than the Ex's HID high beams. I asked him but I will ask you as well, what did they change to improve the 13's? Anything I can retro fit?

I just responded to Vincel's comment. Was not aware they were one bulb systems. The Acura's Halogen high beams were far better than the Ex's HID high beams. I asked him but I will ask you as well. what did they change to improve the 13's? Anything I can retro fit?

Different projector(beam shape is completely different) as well as auto high beams. My wife has an RDX and while the low beams are really nice, the halogen high beams blow, I find the high beams on the Ex much better.

I'll also add that that while the low beam was worse on the 11 compared to the 13, the high beam on the 11 was better.

Interesting was it the tires causing the road noise? I'm considering an MDX as well.

Sorry for the delay in responding, but the service guy at the Acura stealership wanted to blame the noise on the stock tires, but I don't buy it. I think they tried to cut the weight of the vehicle and part of the way to do that was to skimp on sound proofing in the doors/floors/etc. I still hear the tire noise on the Explorer, but it's not as bad as the Acuras was. We had a 04 Yukon before and it was like a tomb inside compared to both of these cars. The noise from passing vehicles is much better on the Ford compared to the Acura and probably an equal to the GMC. Another issue I had with the MDX was if you shut a door and the window was down a bit, it sounded like the window was rattling inside. Definitely not Japanese typical. I would steer away from the MDX. Besides the weaker headlights, I'm happy we made the switch to the Explorer. Hope that helps. Jeff

Different projector(beam shape is completely different) as well as auto high beams. My wife has an RDX and while the low beams are really nice, the halogen high beams blow, I find the high beams on the Ex much better.

I'll also add that that while the low beam was worse on the 11 compared to the 13, the high beam on the 11 was better.

Ah, thanks for the info on the 13 differences. Interesting take on the Halogen high beams. We drive back and forth to Montana almost every weekend. I recall when using the High beams on the Acura, the reflection off of the yellow highway signs coming back to us would almost blind us and the beams would light up further down the road. Those same signs with the Fords high beams on are tolerable and distant vision is poorer.

Seems they sacrificed high beam strength for better low beams with the 13 change. But you still think the weaker 13's high beams are better than your wifes RDX?

I was close to pulling the trigger on an MDX, and ended up with the Ex Sport. From having the car for half a day, the ride was nice, and I didn't notice too much road noise, at least not much more than the Ex has.

Price-wise, the MDX would have been about 2k less than X-plan for the Ex, for a MY12 Tech/Entertainment Pkg with tow hitch. In the end, the interior felt dated, or to quote my wife, like an old persons car.

Try driving both a bit and see what feels more comfortable. I will say that IMO, the seats in the MDX have better lateral support, but I am very happy with our decision.

I would agree with you on the lateral support being better on the MDX, but my wife if really enjoying the cooled seats on the Exp vs the non cooled ones on our MDX Tech (optional on the upper models though). As far as the road noise, maybe we had a bum one, because it was by far louder.

I would agree with you on the lateral support being better on the MDX, but my wife if really enjoying the cooled seats on the Exp vs the non cooled ones on our MDX Tech (optional on the upper models though). As far as the road noise, maybe we had a bum one, because it was by far louder.

The cooled seats in the Ex was definitely another tick in it's favor.

Back