• Register Today It's free!

Thoughts on towing an Aztek

GT2000

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer V8 AWD
Callsign
Dora the explorer
So i have a 98 AWD 5.0 explorer, and i'm thinking about buying this Aztek for really cheap, needs work. Bout 70 mile trip. I know someone with a car dolly. I believe the Aztek weighs 3800 pounds or so plus the dolly so maybe 4500 total or so. Any concerns with towing this much weight, I towed mulch trailers with it already which i'm guessing were at least 2500 and it did good, but could feel it behind me in the braking.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have made a several 100 to 500 mile trips towing a 5.0 AWD with a 5.0 AWD with both car dollies and car trailers. Probably over 6,000 lbs towed when I used a trailer. The trailer had inertia brakes and I have heavy duty brake pads, which help with going down long hills. All in all though, no problem from the engine and drive train, but without trailer brakes, you have to be very, very careful.

I would prefer to put the Aztek on a car trailer with brakes....but it can be "tow dollied" safely as long as you are very careful and keep your distances (not always possible)
The 5.0 will pull it, braking is the challenge

I would definitely get a dolly with brakes, otherwise your braking distance will be really long and the trailer will try and "push" your vehicle. It will feel unstable and be unsafe.

At least where I used to live (NC) I think a trailer over 3,500 lbs was required to have brakes by law. IMO that is a good rule of thumb to live by. I've done about 3,000 lbs in an Explorer Sport without brakes and it doesn't feel great.

You can tow it I feel sure without question, but as others have said, the braking is what gets you. I recently pulled a 5x8 trailer with 2,200 pounds of stuff on it, and it'd climb hills like it was barely there, the brakes did leave something to be desired. I would before doing such a task make sure my Explorer's brakes, lines included, are in great condition everywhere that counts.

Figured the 5.0 would be fine, and i see what you all mean with brakes cause i could feel even a 2,000ish pound mulch trailer in the brakes, but pulling it around was no issue. Don't have to worry now cause the aztek sold already :(. But i may end up doing this in the future, i like to buy projects and fix them. My rotors are kinda warped at the moment, any rotors and pad recommendations?

I put these Powerstop matched pads and rotors on my 2000 Excursion sitting on 37" tires and these are the best brakes I have ever had: (this is the explorer part)

More Information for POWER STOP K1860

Should work really well on the Exploder

Personally I have tried the Powerstop pads, it was on a track car, but they were not up to the task and faded quickly. I have had good luck with Centric Stoptech pads, they sustained the same track use as the Powerstop pads but were fade free.

Just get regular blank rotors as I suspect most of them come from the same factory in China anyway. IMO you don't want slotted or drilled rotors, they provide a place for cracks to start and they reduce the surface area of the disk.

I have used Wagner severe duty pads front and rear and have been satisfied with their performance while towing. Noticeable improvement over regular pads with less susceptibility to fade.

I don't know about towing an Aztec, but I hear they respond well to being pushed off a cliff. It does wonders for the appearance.

:thumbsup:

I don't know about towing an Aztec, but I hear they respond well to being pushed off a cliff. It does wonders for the appearance.

:thumbsup:

LOL, Yeah ugliest vehicle since the Ford Edsel.

2011_infiniti_qx56_4dr-suv_base_fq_oem_1_500.jpg

The Aztek wasn't pretty, but I feel like the QX56 may have outdid it. Always reminded me of a fat pig with curves in all of the wrong places. Look at that grille and fender vent...yikes!

I like the AZTEK because it''s ugly, and Walter White had one!

Back